A cool nod to the GNX on Jay Leno's website

RatFink

PutTheNeedleOnTheRecord!
here is the link and also the story below, thought you GNXers would appreciate it...:)

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=7068

Hello fellow car nuts--This baby boomer is a serious auto enthusiast. As you may have guessed, the Buick GNX is a favorite car of mine. I was in high school during the 1980's and really fell for the Buick Regal Grand National. I definately couldn't afford one so I tried to convince my parents. At a local dealer showroom was the new 84 GN. It was so beautiful and b-b-bad looking. While shopping for a used Buick for Dad, I gave it my best shot. Unfortunately, they wouldn't even look at it. Their reason was--"We grew up during the Depression, all the cars back then were black. No way." That reminded me of one of Jay Leno's stories about his parents. He bought them a new Cadillac, and his mother would recline the seat all the way back, so as not to be seen. Her reasoning was--it's a really nice car, but we're just not Cadillac people. Cute.
Anyhow, Dad bought Mom an '85 GN in 1988. Unfortunately, we bought a car which had the odometer rolled back from 65,000 to 30,000. Nevertheless, I loved that car and was LUCKY to drive it often. I called it the Grandma National. Mom really liked how quick it was. Just NOT a good car to drive in a Chicago winter snowstorm, (don't even mention on ice). In 1990 my day was to come. I found a 1987
Buick GN with 101 miles in Chicago. My wonderful father helped my buy it. Loaded with all the options including a moonroof.
My GN is now 20 yrs. old and has only 16,200 miles. During those 20 yrs., I've been obsessed with the
GNX, the ultimate GN. Only 547 were made. $10,000 more than a GN. Even b-b-badder. TOO BAD!
Still, I've always wanted a real GNX. My car now sports an authentic NOS complete GNX dash.
The problem is I don't get to drive it much. For the past 6 yrs +, I've had to become my parents'
caregiver. My Dad has been diabetic for 45 yrs. He injects insulin 4 times a day. He is nearly blind now and has much trouble walking. Still , he maintains a positive attitude even after nearly having a foot amputated,being wheelchair bound, walking again, then breaking a leg, which took a full year to heal. Then my Mother has Alzheimers. I had to take her car away last year. I kept unplugging the battery so she couldn't leave. Last week was the first time she didn't know who I was. That is a hard situation to deal with. But you continue to struggle, and do the best you can.
MANY nights I will sit in my car and dream about driving somewhere, anywhere. So from experience I will tell you, if you have a nice car....Go and Drive it. Every chance you get.
Until then, I do most of my driving on my Sony Playstation 2. I love the game Gran Turismo 4. I bought it just because it has a GNX, but enjoy all the other cool cars including JAY LENO's TANK CAR.
When I'm not driving in the game, I let the computer do the driving. I let it run all day, just because I love to watch cars.
----I have LOVED all AMERICAN cars full heartedly ALL of my life....until recently., but that's another story---one about discovering all the cars you didn't want to know about, are pretty cool too.

THANKS to all who have read my thoughts, so I wish to conclude this with ALWAYS Wear Your Seatbelt.
---passengers too. It can save your life or the life of someone you love....Drive Safe.

I can understand how hard it is to take car of another family member. My mom has to take care of her parents because my grandmother has diabetes and my grandfather has both diabetes and Alzheimers. It was the same way with my dad's parents too.

Very enjoyable reading. Lot of truth there about driving ones cars. I need to take it to heart myself instead of keeping them hid for someone else to enjoy one day. I tell my self.....one day I will enjoy and drive my cars, but what if that day never comes. Hard cold truth is...someone else will after you are gone and all that money and work you have put into keeping it in pristine shape will be for that person. Does not make any sense huh. But I suppose it is all human nature. :(