A little BUICK Tech help please :)

Lee_Burough

..Never Forget..
Staff member
My brother in Colorado has a 1997 Turbo Riviera that won't run. It quit while driving down the road. :confused:

Since then, he has spent $1,000....A Buick dealer has replaced the ignition module, cam sensor, knock sensor and CPU and done who knows what else. It still won't run. It has started on two different occasions and run for 15-30 seconds then stopped again. Several Buick 'experts' have failed to get it to run. After a dialogue of failed tries, I think its safe to say it has fuel but no spark.

He reports a flashing 'security' light. As soon as he mentioned that, I thought it could be some kind of VATS malfunction. He has only the one key.

Will welcome any thoughts on troubleshooting and fixing/bypassing the VATS system. PM or E-mail any bypassing instructions.

TIA :cool:

More information

The engine cranks. Razor wrote that if the engine cranks, it is NOT anything to do with the VATS system. So we'll move on.

I've E-mailed the cam sensor installation instructions from vortexBuicks.com, he may have the cam sensor installed incorrectly. :)

Any other thoughts?

TIA :)

i'm not so sure about the not-cranking thing.

VATS is a fuel-enabling input on ECMs of that era.

But, that said, if there is fuel getting into the engine and its cranking, then its probably not VATS.

They had turbo riv's in '97? Its not a supercharged car?

if it has enough sensor signals to get it to inject fuel, then it has enough to sync a coilpack (assuming its a V6). It would be wastespark if its a v6, so no cam sync issues for spark.

crank key sheared, and the balancer in the wrong spot? (sparking the wrong cylinders?)

no compression? ( I heard a tale of bad gas sticking all the valves, stalling engines.)

Confirm the engine type and year....

Bob

i'm not so sure about the not-cranking thing.

VATS is a fuel-enabling input on ECMs of that era.

But, that said, if there is fuel getting into the engine and its cranking, then its probably not VATS.

They had turbo riv's in '97? Its not a supercharged car?

if it has enough sensor signals to get it to inject fuel, then it has enough to sync a coilpack (assuming its a V6). It would be wastespark if its a v6, so no cam sync issues for spark.

crank key sheared, and the balancer in the wrong spot? (sparking the wrong cylinders?)

no compression? ( I heard a tale of bad gas sticking all the valves, stalling engines.)

Confirm the engine type and year....

Bob

Thanks Bob :)

Yes, it IS a 1997 supercharged Riviera, I was having a senior moment ;)

You can hold the bare plug wire with his hand and no spark at all. I'll pass along your other thoughts Bob, thanks for posting. Will report back.

Best Regards to you Bob :Bobisoneofthe'cool'guyshere:

Progress!

Gofstbuick called to share his experience about a faulty/broken wire running from the key cylinder to the VATS unit. Early in his failure he could tap the key cylinder and the car would start. Later in the failure he couldn't get it started at all. (I think I'm including the pertinant details here). When he disassembled the key cylinder he found a broken wire leading to the VATS unit. He replaced the key cylinder, got a new key paired to the new cylinder and installed it....Its still working today.

My brother went out and banged on the key cylinder and 'WaLa'! It started!!!!!

He has a parts buick in the yard (rural people call it lawn art.....just kidding ;) ) and he will canablize the key cylinder and key from it to see if it works.

Amazing, the knowledge base here at TB.com is truely impressive! Thanks to Bob and Joe for your help :)

Best Regards,

Tell him to buy a new one from the dealer.

The VATS has two flimsy little wires that from on/off/on/off will eventually fail.

Bob said it best, VATS on newer cars goes to the computer. VATS on the 89 TTA only disables the starter.

Different strategy on different years.

Glad he got it started

Tell him to buy a new one from the dealer.

The VATS has two flimsy little wires that from on/off/on/off will eventually fail.

Bob said it best, VATS on newer cars goes to the computer. VATS on the 89 TTA only disables the starter.

Different strategy on different years.

Glad he got it started

Thanks I'll pass it on :)

its an old car..... measure the resistor in the key, and get a fixed resistor and wire it into the harness.

Bob

its an old car..... measure the resistor in the key, and get a fixed resistor and wire it into the harness.

Bob

Thanks Bob, I've E-mailed those instructions and sent him to radio Shack for the resistor pack. He is still sorting it out, going to take a few days off the project and see how it goes then. :)