A New Form of Engine Management?

The Radius Kid

I saw this posted by Kevin Johnson over at Speed Talk in the advanced engine section :

Pretty cool if it actually can be made to work on our cars.

I have a 82 Regal that I'm thinking of putting a 430 in it one day and I would like EFI but didn't want to spend a fortune on engine management. last night I was searching for a cheap, compact and reliable system and it seems that they are working on it but not quite there yet.

It would like to see something about the size of a cell phone so it could be installed anywhere, small gauge wiring for the low voltage sensors to keep the harness size to a minimum for easy routing and an expandable plug and play injector/coil harness to match the number of cylinders in any build. Also it would need to have most of the common monitoring and tuning features associated with systems like FAST and Big Stuff.

It would be great if this could be like other electronics where the prices are becoming more affordable and maybe bought for around the $500 range.

I saw this posted by Kevin Johnson over at Speed Talk in the advanced engine section :

Pretty cool if it actually can be made to work on our cars.
Pressure with respect to time is the most direct means to understand the combustion process. Engine developers such as Ricardo & AVL use pressure transducers (and other stuff) with a cylinder head which allows placement of the pressure transducer.

Seems like it's in the early stages of development and it requires the big blue box to run. I wonder if the blue box has the injector drivers in it or if that is a separate system as well ?

Seems like it's in the early stages of development and it requires the big blue box to run. I wonder if the blue box has the injector drivers in it or if that is a separate system as well ?

That would be my guess.
It looks like this thing actually is learning from the engine it's running and making cylinder to cylinder adjustments as it goes.
pretty cool.

I have a 82 Regal that I'm thinking of putting a 430 in it one day and I would like EFI but didn't want to spend a fortune on engine management. last night I was searching for a cheap, compact and reliable system and it seems that they are working on it but not quite there yet.

It would like to see something about the size of a cell phone so it could be installed anywhere, small gauge wiring for the low voltage sensors to keep the harness size to a minimum for easy routing and an expandable plug and play injector/coil harness to match the number of cylinders in any build. Also it would need to have most of the common monitoring and tuning features associated with systems like FAST and Big Stuff.

It would be great if this could be like other electronics where the prices are becoming more affordable and maybe bought for around the $500 range.

Sounds like you pretty much explained a Microsquirt to a T.... Accept the $500 price tag is way more than a Microsquirt.
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/...nagement-system-839-wiring-harness-p-509.html

They offer other options as well like the MS2, or if you need even more computing power and I/O's the MS3/x is capable of what the FAST systems can do and way more.

,Dan

That would be my guess.
It looks like this thing actually is learning from the engine it's running and making cylinder to cylinder adjustments as it goes.
pretty cool.
John you have impressed the "elders" ( I never impress the elders) . The system learns (OEM systems do that), it does cylinder to cylinder variation to drive a cylinder to cylinder A/F actual and spark mapping can be ultra precise since cylinder pressures are being used. Actual base engine VE tables are done this way using sweeps across the RPM band. A lot of this is driven from a lap top and data logged.

John you have impressed the "elders" ( I never impress the elders) . The system learns (OEM systems do that), it does cylinder to cylinder variation to drive a cylinder to cylinder A/F actual and spark mapping can be ultra precise since cylinder pressures are being used. Actual base engine VE tables are done this way using sweeps across the RPM band. A lot of this is driven from a lap top and data logged.

Although the OEM's may tune their test engines from the factory this way,I don't think they adaptively tune cylinder to cylinder each engine they make.
Their tunes tend to be based on a set of sample engines and the tune applied to all of those engine types with minor adaptions/corrections allowed in situ.
The thing I was getting at was that even though this engine in the video was a relatively mild one,it still exhibited pressure variations from cylinder to cylinder without the controller,which should tell people that even though you can apply a "general tune" to a G/N,it MAY NOT cover all eventualities that any cylinder may see.
Under high load [boost] one cylinder may get short changed beyond normal parameters and ......boom!
BTW,Mom still loves you.;)

I'm my day to day job I used to deal specifically with calibrations using cylinder pressure pickups on our very large natural gas engines. Not only do you use the cylinder pressure for timing/fueling checks but it is also used to "tune" factory detonation sensors sensitivity and frequency since it can "see" the pressure spikes from detonation. So I would have to assume you could use the software to limit timing based off cylinder pressures to stop detonation. Many of our new gas engines utilize this property and will even shutdown as a protection mode in the event it can not fix the detonation with timing.

,Dan

I'm my day to day job I used to deal specifically with calibrations using cylinder pressure pickups on our very large natural gas engines. Not only do you use the cylinder pressure for timing/fueling checks but it is also used to "tune" factory detonation sensors sensitivity and frequency since it can "see" the pressure spikes from detonation. So I would have to assume you could use the software to limit timing based off cylinder pressures to stop detonation. Many of our new gas engines utilize this property and will even shutdown as a protection mode in the event it can not fix the detonation with timing.

,Dan

Sounds cool.
I guess the calibrations are done manually and not automatic/dynamically?
I'm also guessing there's no O2/EGT sensor involved?

Sounds cool.
I guess the calibrations are done manually and not automatic/dynamically?
I'm also guessing there's no O2/EGT sensor involved?

Yes EGT, O2, NOx and many other sensors are used as well to calibrate the engines for power, economy, and emissions. Just saying that CPPs have many uses in the development world.

,Dan