A pillar pod, what gauges would be the most important to have in it?

TriShield

Buick Turbo Elitist Pr|ck
Before you answer, I'm putting a GNX gauge cluster in my car with boost, oil pressure, fuel, water temp, all that good stuff.

I'm probably going to put two gauges on the A-pillar and call it good, what two are a necessary evil for a modified turbo Buick?

EGT and knock?

Or something else?

Ya, I'd say you answered you own question. Their isn't much more for gauges out their. Maybe a trans Temp? That's about all that will be left. :D

I wouldn't recommend a pillar mounted 2 1/16" EGT gauge. Trying to read EGT on a full scale gauge scaled 0 - 2000 *F would be difficult I suspect. I am going with a hand held digital EGT.

One possible alternative to consider is fuel pressure. Its always nice to be able to confirm FP is rising with boost. ;)

If you go with fuel pressure gauge, put it on the hood. Electric units, for inside the car, are not very accurate.

Knock and driveshaft deflection...

But seriously, a 2nd boost gauge on the pillar would be nice - the one on the dash will require you to take your eyes off the road - not a good thing, especially for cars as fast as ours.

Rule of thumb - put the slow stuff, like temperatures, on the dash. Put the fast stuff, like boost and knock, on the pillar.

:D

Good call strikeeagle,
VERY much agree with his rule of thumb!!!

Jason

SPA dual EGT & boost with recall
Fuel pressure (electric) or the knock gauge. I agree the electric gauge isn't as accurate as I'd like, but it helped me with an earlier roblem.

I have the crappy digital dash in my car. I was going to have my dual gauge pod hold a tach and boost gauge but a tach that small is not my style. I hooked a 3 3/4" AutoMeter tach up beside my dual pod and put a 30/20 AutoMeter boost gauge and digital A/F ratio gauge in my pod. That way I can see how much boost I'm running along with whether I'm running rich or lean in one glance.