A recepie for knock?

"Turbo-T"

V6 on steroids
I think I was reading here that if you have a lean condition you will get some knock retard....correct?

If so, can this be a result of someone upgrading to bigger injectors and a chip, but without replacing the stock fuel pump? What about not having the hot wire kit, also on a stock fuel pump?

Thanks!

So do you think a hot wire kit on a stock pump would work wonders?

I just noticed I could get into the boost and it be under 10 PSI, everything looks fine and I hold it steady at under 10 PSI....then the knock gauge starts lighting up one by one and it makes it to the yellow. KR on the Scanmater was showing 1.7 I think...

It's like the faster the car goes on boost the more KR it picks up.

I know for a fact my car doesn't have the hot wire kit so I just ordered it, and I'm guessing it probably has the stock pump too.....:eek: Yet it has blue tops and a chip and a TE-44 turbo. :rolleyes:

Fuel

Your sig says a Jay Carter chip. Not sure if it allows you to adjust fuel. What's nice about the TT chip you could up WOT fuel % and/or decrease timing in this situation. How much boost are you running at WOT? Did you get moved ?

Hot wiring the stock pump might help but the pump might be getting tired and doesn't flow as much as an upgraded replacement anyway. A fuel pump isn't that expensive, I'd get one.

+X for hotwire AND pump. You're talking like $125 for the parts and an afternoon of cursing and busted knuckles to do the work. That's cheap insurance to make sure your ?$3000? motor gets all the fuel it needs and doesn't turn into a not-so-cheap imitation of a hand grenade. Start at the gas tank, work your way forward until you come out the tail pipe with upgrades is my opinion, not that it's worth much.

Your sig says a Jay Carter chip. Not sure if it allows you to adjust fuel. What's nice about the TT chip you could up WOT fuel % and/or decrease timing in this situation. How much boost are you running at WOT? Did you get moved ?

No the Jay Carter chip is not adjustable. I do have a Turbo Tweak chip but I am waiting on my new fuel pressure regulator and gauge to get here. Then I will know what PSI to set it to. (instructions say 43 PSI)

Hot wiring the stock pump might help but the pump might be getting tired and doesn't flow as much as an upgraded replacement anyway. A fuel pump isn't that expensive, I'd get one.

Yeah I plan on getting a new fuel pump. What would you recommend? I'm looking into a w Walbro but not sure if I should get a 307 or a 340...?

I've also heard Walbros you have to mod them to make them fit...???

What other fuel pumps would you recommend? Thinking of setting my car up to run 11's....???

What are your thoughts on this pump?:Holley 12-914 - Holley Electric In-Tank Fuel Pumps - summitracing.com

Fuel pump

Get the 340 over the 307. My best friend picked up a high flow Holley years ago for his T-Type and has had no problems whatsoever it's been a good unit.

I would highly, HIGHLY recommend you do some research on the GN T-Type website where you'll find oodles of information related to your question. I installed a gonzo Walbro pump in my Limited and my hotwire kit is home made. The pump I purchased was on sale from Full Throttle for $99 for the kit; it is a drop in with no mods needed. If you want the Plug-N-Play hot wire kit, tack on another $50.

Do the pump & hotwire before you start trying to tune the car. Please. Also, be sure to change the fuel filter on the driver's side frame rail in front of the left rear tire. Finally, changing a fuel pump is not that big of a deal; just make sure the tank is empty before you undo the straps.

One more thing: given your newness to the TR game you may want to update your sig with the real size of turbo you're running (not just "bigger") and maybe the profile on that Poston cam as I know they sell several. That way, us "been there / done that" guys will have a better idea of what you have going on. :)

mine just did the same thing 10 psi at about half throttle fine anything over that and the fuel pressure would drop back to 40psi.had stock ac delco pump with volt boost so i dont think that the hot wire will make much difference.i changed to the walbro pump and it fixed the problem

Actually I have looked at gntype.org, that's where I read up about them saying the Walbro needs mods to fit. Direct quote taken from the site:Technical FAQ

Walbro 307/340

This is an intank pump that dramatically increases fuel capacity. These pumps will supply plenty of fuel for a 10 second full weight car.
Advantages: More pressure and volume. Stock mounting (with minor modifications) and quiet. Available from many Vendor sources for a variety of prices.
Disadvantages: Needs modification to pickup tube to fit TR gas tanks. Needs stable voltage (i.e. hot wiring or volt booster) to ensure maximum capacity.

An adjustable regulator is recommended to compensate for the increased fuel delivery and to aid in tuning.

That's why I was curious as to what kind of mods does it need to the pick up tube to fit a stock GN gas tank...?

Oh the "mod" is a 2 inch piece of rubber tubing and 2 hose clamps, if you order a pump from a buick vendor you should get everything you need. I got mine from Racetronix, with the hotwire for like $165 including shipping and it came with everything needed including the "mod" (aka 3 inches of tubing you cut to fit and 2 hose clamps).

RXG7-FPKG

Oh he also sent me both connectors since I wasn't sure which connector I had on my pump.

So don't let that "mod" worry you, if you can tighten 2 hose clamps you're in business.

Oh, ok. Thanks, sounds pretty easy then.

One other question....how can I tell a 340 from a 307? And did one of them pump more fuel than the other?

Thanx again.

Oh, ok. Thanks, sounds pretty easy then.

One other question....how can I tell a 340 from a 307? And did one of them pump more fuel than the other?

Thanx again.

The 340 is discontinued, as is the 307- both have been replaced by the F20000169. Still a direct replacement for the stocker- the hose just replaces the pulsator.

No need for external unless you're after ludicrous speed- a hotwired Walbro will suit most all street applications.