A way to reduce the exhaust drone

turbopete

Tug Driver
After changing to the dual Super Turbo mufflers, I had the drone. Bought some "Fatmat" (same as Dynamat, but cheaper) and put it under the back seat.
Is it quiet and perfect, no, but much better. I got the "door kit" for less than $50. Well worth the $$.

Put a cat. on the car.....switch to a single stock appearing exhaust or use two different mufflers that may cancel each others noise...

Pete

***** I used to have Flowmaster 3 stage mufflers on my car and had horrible drone. No Cat Converter at the time. I switched to Walker Ultraflows and the drone was gone. I put a Cat Converter on the car for emissions and it didn't sound much different.

In the past, and on other cars, I have found that if your mufflers touch the underside anywhere, the car will seem MUCH louder inside. You can use Fat-Mat or other insulators, but the root problem is the mufflers touching something it shouldn't be. The Walker Ultraflows I put on the car were physically smaller than the original Flowmasters, and there is plenty of space everywhere now. My passenger side muffler used to touch the rear lower control arm bracket area when the car went over bumps, etc.. Smaller/better designed mufflers helped eliminate that.

Just my experience

Billy
Montgomery Village, MD

I've got a similar plan to Turbopete's. I have 6 gallons of Second Skin sound dedener sitting in the garage since the spring. I plan on pulling my interior out and spraying EVERYTHING. Paying extra attention to the trunk, rear quarters and floor. I want this thing to be silent inside and still bark outside. :biggrin:

The dynamat is what holds most of salvageV6 together, that and POR15. :p

Put it on the whole interior floor, doors, back seat sides quarter window areas etc.

It does work for lowering the interior db levels about -2 as I had superturbos with holes in them for years that didn't bother me that much. :D

Now I have the ultraflows ss on there and it's a lot more quieter.

Yep about 100 lbs. worth too, 3955lb. race weight. :eek:

The 3 JBL subs. don't help either. ;)

PS: Make sure you put some holes anywhere you need drainage or air flow.

Since I spend way more time crusing around and enjoying the music provided by both Garrett and Kenwood than I do racing my car, Adding some weight to enhance the ride does not bother me a bit.

My car has a pretty loud exhaust drone. Though I need to check under it again to see if any of the pipes are resting against floorboards or other parts of the car causing a vibration noise. A week after I put my exhaust on, it was all out of wack because it came loose. I Had to retighten everything.