AC Question

nickygn23

Gentlemen quick question. I had my AC system completely redone about 8 years back. Compressor, orifice tube and dryer. I was leaving a cruise in and I noticed my compressor was cycling rapidly on and off. Year prior you could hang meat in my car it was so cold. Now hot air. I have never worked on an AC before, hence why I paid to have it done. I would like to try it myself. I watched some videos about using for product called AC Pro. Any suggestions before I start?

Attachments

• 20211017_131734.jpg
    20211017_131734.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 44
The gas has escape some where. But a quick can might get you past the summer heat or it could be 30 bucks that disappears in 2 days.
It cycling so it has gas in it and not empty I would put a can in it. If it was not cycling it needs to be checked over to find the leak.
So Im saying go for it.

The gas has escape some where. But a quick can might get you past the summer heat or it could be 30 bucks that disappears in 2 days.
It cycling so it has gas in it and not empty I would put a can in it. If it was not cycling it needs to be checked over to find the leak.
So Im saying go for it.
I appreciate the info. Thanks

When you had the AC redone, did they use the original R12 or switch it to R134a, refrigerant?
Using the AC PRO, or another method, you must get the system evacuated.
Biggest elephant in the room, someone must find the leak.

When you had the AC redone, did they use the original R12 or switch it to R134a, refrigerant?
Biggest elephant in the room, someone must find the leak.
Converted to the new stuff. R134a

Yes your correct, but OP said it is cycling , This would indicate some gas is in the system and no contamination has entered.
As for the elephant correct again, a can may get him to winter when AC Repear usually is not so expensive.

Yes your correct, but OP said it is cycling , This would indicate some gas is in the system and no contamination has entered.
As for the elephant correct again, a can may get him to winter when AC Repear usually is not so expensive.
Your absolutely right there. It would be cheaper in the winter. It was a lot the first time to repair it. I'm just trying to be more hands on now that I'm retired. Lord knows I have the time Now.

Attachments

• Best pic ever.jpg
    Best pic ever.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 29
Your absolutely right there. It would be cheaper in the winter. It was a lot the first time to repair it. I'm just trying to be more hands on now that I'm retired. Lord knows I have the time Now.
You though you have retirement time, but the fun just started, welcome to the "HONEY DO LIST":eek:
former NY, now living in Greenville, SC
Give it some time and I might be seeing you living in SC, and if do definity get a two car garage since one of them will be occupy with your GN
I've been doing all of my GN maintenances work, and now in the process of repainting my 87 GN

You though you have retirement time, but the fun just started, welcome to the "HONEY DO LIST":eek:
former NY, now living in Greenville, SC
Give it some time and I might be seeing you living in SC, and if do definity get a two car garage since one of them will be occupy with your GN
I've been doing all of my GN maintenances work, and now in the process of repainting my 87 GN
Its funny you say that. The wife and I are talking about South Carolina . I'm in Staten Island NY. Born in Brooklyn. Its time for some better living in a place where people actually like each other. A place where I can work on my car in peace and maybe a lift would be nice. An old lady gave me the finger this morning as I was dropping of my son for school. Crazy. And yes the Honey do list is long. Got to go clean the toilet.
IMG_1285(1).jpg

Its funny you say that. The wife and I are talking about South Carolina . I'm in Staten Island NY. Born in Brooklyn. Its time for some better living in a place where people actually like each other. A place where I can work on my car in peace and maybe a lift would be nice. An old lady gave me the finger this morning as I was dropping of my son for school. Crazy. And yes the Honey do list is long. Got to go clean the toilet.View attachment 399297
My wife and I was born and raise in the Bronx, moved to Long Island Suffolk county, retired and moved to Greenville, SC
But just to give you some heads up, My wife and I live in a close community, and majority of the people are nice, and we're lucky to have great neighbors. We do meet up with other NYers, and some complaint of having lousy neighbors.
If you do decide to visit Greenville, SC, PM me

My wife and I was born and raise in the Bronx, moved to Long Island Suffolk county, retired and moved to Greenville, SC
But just to give you some heads up, My wife and I live in a close community, and majority of the people are nice, and we're lucky to have great neighbors. We do meet up with other NYers, and some complaint of having lousy neighbors.
If you do decide to visit Greenville, SC, PM me
Thanks Brother. If I head down to the Greenville area I will.

Bad News. Finally got around to refilling R134a . Like I said prior at last check the compressor was constantly cycling. I checked the refrigerant level this morning and it was a tad bit low. I refilled it to the perfect level and then noticed the compressor wasn't turning on anymore. I let it run for a while and nothing. What would cause this besides a bad compressor? I'm not an AC guy. Its basically new. Only used a handful of times. Any help would be great.Good pic.jpg
Good pic.jpg

Check the pressure switches. Especially the low pressure switch. I think it's on or near the dryer on a GN, can't remember. You can change them w/o losing the refrigerant. They're pretty cheap, too. Check Rock Auto, if you have time. You can check to see if the compressor clutch will cycle by jumpering the switch out. I haven't had to do much to my GN's A/C since I owned it. I did add a can of R12 once and still have one can left. I have had to screw with the A/C in my Saab 9000's more than I care to admit. At least they're 134. I grew up un WNY. Left NYS in 1987, never going back. Ever.

Yes, change the cheap pressure switch on the dryer but make sure you get the one for 134a since
it needs a different setting then R-12.
8 years is a long time, have you checked the condenser? Look through the grill and see if there is any
oil residue on it.
I'd get a vacuum pump from harbor freight and see if there are leaks.
Highway stars is the bestest.

I might as well change the pressure switch. They are cheap.
I do appreciate the advise gentleman.

I checked the fuse. Its good. Although now my back hurts. Who's idea was it to stuff it so far under the dash. The little door to access it is useless. Pulled the bottom of the dash down. That works better.

Yes, change the cheap pressure switch on the dryer but make sure you get the one for 134a since
it needs a different setting then R-12.
8 years is a long time, have you checked the condenser? Look through the grill and see if there is any
oil residue on it.
I'd get a vacuum pump from harbor freight and see if there are leaks.
Highway stars is the bestest.
Ill check that. Appreciate it.