Accel Batch DFI

IRACEIT

Ok...

I gave in and decided to drag the damned thing off the work bench. After all I had converted the '84 GN to an '87 engine harness, the '87 motor set up, and will soon have a Turbonetics
-60 turbo to flow some real air through the Jack Cotton front mount.

The question is this... when I go into Global to create and set up the initial guestimate of how much horsepower, torque, fuel map, spark curve ect... HOW CLOSE DOES IT REALLY GET YOU TO THESE NUMBERS?

I wanted to be conservative and reach an attainable number so I typed in 420 horsepower at 5,200 rpm, and 440 lbs torque at 4,800 rpm, established a fuel PSI of 45lbs, and usage of the 36lbs injectors. A key stroke or two later the system creates a fuel map, spark curve, temperature enrichment ect.

I assume "Speed Density" is the proper configuration?

Am I overlooking anything? I installed the Casper's electronics plug and play wire harness to adapt it all into place. However, there is one unusual plug coming off from it that isn't plugging into anything "yet." It is a gray and red wire leading into it. I assume it requires a keyed ignition source? (If you need a digital pic I can provide it)

Mods... GN1 aluminum heads, Turbonetics -60 Turbo 4 inch inlet, Tery Houston 3" stainless downpipe, Jack Cotton front mount, 36lbs injectors but in Colorado's thin air I might get away with them? (or should I step up higher to 55lbs or bigger), a small CC's 206/206, singleshot ATR exhaust, 3.42 gears with 275/50/15 Nitto drag radials.

Throw some ideas out at me... looking for some experience before I end up twisting wrenches on changing headgaskets again.

Your better off with the fast system, at least the car will run if you set the ve numbers to about 50 across the table. The dfi is 15 year old technology, unless you have a wideband o2 you will go absolutly crazy. put it for sale in the parts section, and save your back from trying to change head gaskets in the car. The fast system is no cake walk either on cold start, and enrichment warmup, but at least so have some chance of saving your motor. ..

Maybe you could get the Buick gn @'s to tune it for you?

patented

I feel the love...

I hear ya buddy! :D

Most of the @'s of my favorite fan club can only dream of owning a GN let alone tune one. :D

Norb is right about the technology being so old. It is getting difficult to keep hardware from going out on you, laptops that will work with a DOS based system.

That being said you can do it with a batch fire. You can look up some of the threads in this forum and see what the differences between a DFI and FAST are.

The FAST is a better system and it offers much more feedback than a DFI batch fire will.

As far as your combo it should cook really well. The 60 turbo will make about 540 hp and 590 ft/lbs torque at the motor. So you may want to set up your initial figures a little higher.

You certainly need bigger injectors for the motor. 50 lbs/hr will do nicely with a 60 turbo.

Bear in mind that you will make max torque by ( about ) 4600 rpms or so with that cam so make sure your fuel map corresponds with that peak.

Food for thought.

Lets see...
New FAST system....... $2,300

OLD DFI ..................... $450
2HR dyno w/wideband $200
Total ($650)

Its' just not worth the extra $1,650 for me.

I have a 36# program now and the car runs ok. I'll e-mail you mine after I go to the dyno this week.

Dont get me wrong, the old batch fire units still do work.

When I say old tech I mean the laptops and the software.

I have a very old 386 laptop that we ran all of the DFI programs on. Now the entire left side of the keyboard no longer works and I cant transfer the files, save it to a disk or anything.

There are a couple of guys on here that I promised files to and I cant do it.

The gray car has a batch fire in it and it runs great. Starts right up, idles well and hauls down the road.

Reggie,

You can run calmap on a new laptop. I am running it on a Celeron 700 running WIN ME as the primary OS. I partitioned the hard drive and installed Win 95. I can boot the machine in either WIN ME or WIN 95. Calmap will only run under DOS or WIN 95.

There is more than one way to skin the cat!!

DR

I dont know if I am smart enough to partition the hard drive Dave.

My bigger problem is getting all of the files off of the old laptop and putting them on the new one. At this point I imagine they will have to take the HD out of it and transfer files from there.

I did try to run Calmap on the new one and it went into a DOS mode automatically. I will have to see if it will link up with the ECM.

Originally posted by Reggie West
I
I did try to run Calmap on the new one and it went into a DOS mode automatically. I will have to see if it will link up with the ECM.
I don't think that will work (DOS shell). You have to run it as a DOS program.
So, your 3.5" doesnt work to copy the files?

The 3.5 drive works but with the left side of the keyboard you cant type the letter A as in A drive to copy a damn thing.

And this thing uses a DOS version, no Windows, so I cant use a mouse to anything on it either.

Frustrating

Take into consideration that FAST is a copy of the Gen 6 with sequential and a few other tweaks...

Money well spent would be to go with the new Gen 7+ system if you are looking to buy something new. But your 6 setup should do you just fine if you want to learn with what you have.

Originally posted by 50Bucket
Take into consideration that FAST is a copy of the Gen 6 with sequential and a few other tweaks...

Money well spent would be to go with the new Gen 7+ system if you are looking to buy something new. But your 6 setup should do you just fine if you want to learn with what you have.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=85837
Listen up blacktruck. Since you, 50bucket, DFIfixah, and aDFIguy all post from the same IP address it's pretty obvious who you are and what you're up to. It's too bad not all of you can post anything worthwhile in here. I've bitten my tongue on this long enough because I don't want to alienate any users or manufacturers of a particular brand of engine management. I think its great that you can get answers on DFI questions straight from the horse's mouth here. But you seem to be on the other end of the horse. You aren't doing anyone any favors.

If you want to help customers with questions, do it. If you want to advertise your product, pay up like everyone else. The TB.com site administrators would love to have you as a paying sponsor of this site. Quit the stupid games though. Pick an identity and stick to it.

No more warnings.

How'd it go at the Dyno?

Archie,

Get to the dyno yet? :D

One a secondary note... Let's show some "Going Fast with Class" by praising in public, and criticizing in private IM.

This is my post and I don't want it hijacked via the trivial squawbling of "this system is better than this system" ect... The topic is "Accel Batch DFI" let's stay to it ok? ;)

No, not yet. The story of my life. I'll make it in the next week or two. I'll show you mine if you show me yours. (36# program)

I'm waiting for an exhaust housing for the turbo. Would like to see something that allows the car to atleast start. :)