adding oil line to HV front cover?

Tom Tom Turbo

Turbo Goes Woo Woo
after doing some research, I'm at the point where I would like to add an oil feed line to the top of my HV front cover, so more oil gets to the timing chain and front of the cam. A few people are suggesting drilling, tapping, and placing a 20 thousandths nitrous nozzle in the top of the cover and then tee-ing into an oil port on the block.

One question is, has anyone else done something like this?

2nd question is, where exactly is the best place to tap into for an oil source?

you probably just need to tap the oil plugs that are in the front of the block by the upper cam gear - no need for an NOS nozzle or anything of that sort. Not sure why you think you need to do this. Normally, the only guys that need to do this are guys running roller cam bearings or some odd cam nose setup the blocks the oil hemorraging from the front cam bearing.

If you bought your cam from a vendor, call them and verify their thoughts.. usually you don't need to do anything and if you had an issue, it probably would have shown itself very quickly.

after doing some research, I'm at the point where I would like to add an oil feed line to the top of my HV front cover, so more oil gets to the timing chain and front of the cam. A few people are suggesting drilling, tapping, and placing a 20 thousandths nitrous nozzle in the top of the cover and then tee-ing into an oil port on the block.

One question is, has anyone else done something like this?

2nd question is, where exactly is the best place to tap into for an oil source?

You can drill into the oil passage in the front cover. The hole must be properly positioned for oil to reach the nose of the cam. I don't see any problem with a using nitrous nozzle.

well, I'm not really sure why I need to do this either, but someone mentioned it to me and when I called Weber Racing, they suggested that just about all roller cam setups needed more oiling around the cam gear.

So you guys are saying there are oil plugs near the cam gear that just need to be drilled into so they flow oil? I'm guessing this is something that you don't want to do while the motor is together, as you'd end up with shavings in the motor. This is not easily done for me, as the motor is already back in the car and ready to go. I'd rather just drill into the front cover if its possible and going to work.

well, I'm not really sure why I need to do this either, but someone mentioned it to me and when I called Weber Racing, they suggested that just about all roller cam setups needed more oiling around the cam gear.

So you guys are saying there are oil plugs near the cam gear that just need to be drilled into so they flow oil? I'm guessing this is something that you don't want to do while the motor is together, as you'd end up with shavings in the motor. This is not easily done for me, as the motor is already back in the car and ready to go. I'd rather just drill into the front cover if its possible and going to work.

Eticket is talking about the oil galley plugs in the block. The method I mentioned will work, just don't go drill crazy.

you really feel the need to add oiler?

plenty of decent short blocks have gone plenty fast with out it.... though i would say it adds to long term durability.... your not roundy round racing for 5 hours either....

but ive seen alot of guys go through the fuel pump block off plate and use the nozzle there.

A.j.

ok, well I want to do this once and done, so in the interest of not jacking everything up, can someone post a picture or something showing/explaining exactly what I need to do and where this can be done?

Cme2fly: so you're saying you'd rather just open up the oil plugs in the block rather than go the Lee Thompson route? I'm thinking his way might be my only way to do this with the engine already assembled.

Cme2fly: so you're saying you'd rather just open up the oil plugs in the block rather than go the Lee Thompson route? I'm thinking his way might be my only way to do this with the engine already assembled.

Not exactly..The oil travels through the front cover back into the block. What needs to be done is to drill the front cover on the pressure side to supply oil to the nose of the cam. Lee's method is one way of doing it..I just prefer drilling the inside of the front cover. If your not comfortable with drilling the cover by all means use Lee's method. Drilling a small hole can cause big problems if you have not experienced in these types of mods.

Well, I'm thinking if the HV front cover already has a hole in the top with just a plug in it, then why not put it to use? Some say I need the extra oil and some don't. I guess my point is that I don't see a down side to going the Lee Thompson route if its not going to hurt anything.

I have had issues with my billet roller wiping out 2 cam sensor gears. I do know, on the stock cam, there is a feed hole for oil to hit the tip of the cam nose. Dan Strezo mentioned that and confirmed with a stock cam. Anyway, I removed and replaced my cam sensor gear with a bronze one, from TA performance, and it still looks great after 5000 miles. I do think the HV front cover mod is also a good thing in order to get oil on the gear preventing cam sensor gear wear. Just my .02..

Mike Banas
87GN

I have had issues with my billet roller wiping out 2 cam sensor gears. I do know, on the stock cam, there is a feed hole for oil to hit the tip of the cam nose. Dan Strezo mentioned that and confirmed with a stock cam. Anyway, I removed and replaced my cam sensor gear with a bronze one, from TA performance, and it still looks great after 5000 miles. I do think the HV front cover mod is also a good thing in order to get oil on the gear preventing cam sensor gear wear. Just my .02..

Mike Banas
87GN

I would keep an eye on the bronze dizzy gear. I have always been told that a bronze gear is used to determine the wear pattern or used as a sacrificial gear. Once it is determined that there is minimal wear the gear should be relaced. Tom there is nothing wrong with Lee's method.

I have to disagree here with some saying you need to do this oiling mod. I agree it sure won't hurt anything and I told Tom about Lee's mod. I have a Weber 206-206 billet cam in my engine that's been there for 7 years (LOTS of miles and track passes) and have yet to see any abnormal wear of any kind. I'm running a stock GM cover with all the oiling mods done to it by me and I also have GREAT oil pressure. Now back in the day when I was using Hi - Volume front covers I had lots of trouble with cam sensors. All food for thought ???

You know what they say about opinions..:eek:. I say do whatever makes you sleep better at night.:)