Additional fuel/meth porting q's

77amc

I've been getting dizzy reading all the threads and seeing pics of all the carbed turbo setups and noticed that none had any porting of either a methanol or NOS or other down into the manifold..
I'm not that adept with computers to cut, splice/paste and all that to show what I'm talking about.

SO, right where the compressed air leaves the turbo, it gives a perfect spot to plumb in a 'up-side-down' Y into the bottom of that flange so one would have a shot going to either side/bank in the plenum.. (whew.. That even sounds cornfusing to me:eek:)

I was slumming on Eaby and picked up a book "How to turbo/supercharge ANY engine" and got tons of info that has been around for decades on compressing the intake charge. Some of the parts would make you think that they are 'crude' by todays standards but hey, they were making big HP #'s back in the 50/60's!!

One neat process is to port Carbon Dioxide toward the exducer since it expands 70+ times as soon as it hits atmosphere. Supposedly it was used by some racer that claimed it was part of his fire-safety extinguisher sys, thereby getting past the 'tech' inspection. (If I remember right, it was a V6 too!)
There was NO turbo lag since the co2 would come on at WOT and it only needed a short burst for spool, and no one could beat his 60ft times off the line.

SO, it seems that the little 'elbow' that turns down into the intake would be a perfect place with plenty of room. for either a meth setup to cool the charge or another fuel source to richen it.

E

your digging through basicly me and charlies old reminants.

we have covered most of what your thinking in the past.

and the methods we have developed are the current trend in the max performance carb turbo.

AND

as a matter of fact, the little "elbow" is the biggest detriment to power production of all.

A.j.

I've been getting dizzy reading all the threads and seeing pics of all the carbed turbo setups and noticed that none had any porting of either a methanol or NOS or other down into the manifold..
I'm not that adept with computers to cut, splice/paste and all that to show what I'm talking about.

SO, right where the compressed air leaves the turbo, it gives a perfect spot to plumb in a 'up-side-down' Y into the bottom of that flange so one would have a shot going to either side/bank in the plenum.. (whew.. That even sounds cornfusing to me:eek:)

I was slumming on Eaby and picked up a book "How to turbo/supercharge ANY engine" and got tons of info that has been around for decades on compressing the intake charge. Some of the parts would make you think that they are 'crude' by todays standards but hey, they were making big HP #'s back in the 50/60's!!

One neat process is to port Carbon Dioxide toward the exducer since it expands 70+ times as soon as it hits atmosphere. Supposedly it was used by some racer that claimed it was part of his fire-safety extinguisher sys, thereby getting past the 'tech' inspection. (If I remember right, it was a V6 too!)
There was NO turbo lag since the co2 would come on at WOT and it only needed a short burst for spool, and no one could beat his 60ft times off the line.

SO, it seems that the little 'elbow' that turns down into the intake would be a perfect place with plenty of room. for either a meth setup to cool the charge or another fuel source to richen it.

E
i have nitrous on my car.

I would be leary of not getting equal distribution by injecting anything in the foot of the compressor. Makes more sense to me to inject pre-turbo. That way it's mixed for sure. And for liquids, I would inject pre-carb. You don't want liquid drops hitting the impellar.

Also, pre-carb means you're not fighting boost pressure with your pump when injecting liquids (water/alcohol).

Where can I buy alky at? I was thinking about using my windshield washer parts to make an alky setup.

that is a great idea jase. All you would have to do is make a separate wire harness, with the hobbs switch connected to the foot to turn the system on automatically. ( that is once the switch is turned on) use all the parts that are stock (the stock washer pump and tank.) then you can pour the alky mixture into the washer tank, and use the outlet of the washer pump to hook up to the alky nozzle, plus switch over the harness to the alky harness. I think most of you are only using alky at the track so it should not be an issue.

Where can I buy alky at? I was thinking about using my windshield washer parts to make an alky setup.

sorry for the extra post guys. but Distilled water, Ethanol, and Methanol
i think most are using 50/50 water/ethanol (correct me if I'm wrong guys).

and the methods we have developed are the current trend in the max performance carb turbo.

AND

as a matter of fact, the little "elbow" is the biggest detriment to power production of all.

A.j.

Wasn't diggin.. Promise! Just was looking at a pic and was justa thinkin..

I forgot about my brothers 76 maveric that he put water infection on..
He used to pour in carb cleaner mixed with octane boost! But that was back in the early 80's. It ran pretty good for a 'stock' motor
If I remember correctly, he had it plumbed right down the air cleaner lid.

Makes sense about the impeller too.

If the 'elbow' is the culprit, then maybe a small sheet metal, squarish cone to match the edelbrock intake flange maybe?

Gotta jet. E

AND

A.j.

LOL If you guys ever read the emails we've sent back and fourth you would know why Aj and I are doing our best to inform you guys what to do.:biggrin:

There's been lots of info on this and the washer fluid works the best, period! I think even Jesse has pointed out that it worked well on his car.:biggrin:

BEFORE BLACK - Alcohol Injection

I buy E85 and mix it 50:50 with distilled water. The gasoline separates out (floats) and I'm left with just ethanol and water.

So basically you bought washer fluid Rich? Washer fluid is cheaper than fuel and very easy to get. Look for the 0 degree fluid and you get what you basically made.:biggrin: Granted it's only available during the winter but if you stock up you should be able to make it until the next winter without an issue.:smile:

So basically you bought washer fluid Rich? Washer fluid is cheaper than fuel and very easy to get. Look for the 0 degree fluid and you get what you basically made.:biggrin: Granted it's only available during the winter but if you stock up you should be able to make it until the next winter without an issue.:smile:

Not really. Washer fluid is methanol of unknown concentration with blue dye that will leave a residue behind.

Wasn't diggin.. Promise! Just was looking at a pic and was justa thinkin..

naw its kool, just saying... a little searching or PMing, or hell calling us can save you alot of time and questions.

I forgot about my brothers 76 maveric that he put water infection on..
He used to pour in carb cleaner mixed with octane boost! But that was back in the early 80's. It ran pretty good for a 'stock' motor
If I remember correctly, he had it plumbed right down the air cleaner lid.

Makes sense about the impeller too.

im on the fence about this.... many sources in the past have indicated to me that after-carb, pre-impeller is best location. you dont want the alcohol to disrupt the metering signal in the carb. the erosion that was occuring on the impeller was a result of inferior or not purpose made nozzles.

IE...... your classic windshiled nozzle is a NO NO..... according to me. And my friends at Hilborn Injection.

If the 'elbow' is the culprit, then maybe a small sheet metal, squarish cone to match the edelbrock intake flange maybe?

Gotta jet. E

we have gone over that, I have tried multiple attempts to improve flow by using different intakes and upgraded turbos. the compressor housing FLAT SUCKS, and I think even Charlie has begun to agree. I have turbo systems that will push 10s using draw thru no problem. fitting one under a hood..... not so easy.

A.j.

naw its kool, just saying... a little searching or PMing, or hell calling us can save you alot of time and questions.

im on the fence about this.... many sources in the past have indicated to me that after-carb, pre-impeller is best location. you dont want the alcohol to disrupt the metering signal in the carb. the erosion that was occuring on the impeller was a result of inferior or not purpose made nozzles.

IE...... your classic windshiled nozzle is a NO NO..... according to me. And my friends at Hilborn Injection.

A.j.
i know you shouldnt use a windshild nozzle...
just the washer pump and tank.
and the mcmaster stuff.

I'm on the fence about this.... many sources in the past have indicated to me that after-carb, pre-impeller is best location. you don't want the alcohol to disrupt the metering signal in the carb. the erosion that was occurring on the impeller was a result of inferior or not purpose made nozzles.

A.j.

Aj and I have discussed this many times and have posted the info in several threads. Pre impeller is the best way to go because it homogenizes (or blends) the mixture better. If you do a little research you can find the thread in this section and in the HA section.

If I sprayed the N/A setup right now, can I spray directly into the carb or should I drill a hole in the spacer plate?

Well, would it be better to spray the alky down into the carb or would it be better to drill a hole into the 1" spacer I have under the carb and spray into the intake?

I dont think propane gums up anything.. Heck we had a 426 wedge Chrysler industrial motor that ran on it and used it for an irrigation pump for years!
And Here at work (at the freight dock) theyve been using propane fork-lifts for longer..
Its' the oil residue that burns in the combustion process that leaves ash deposits. Not the fuel. It burns hotter than regular gasoline.

Well then.. Looks like I should just use another turbo in the first place and go from there.
Well, maybe not.. I think that your deffinition of adequate(?) and mine might be two totally different answers.

E