Advice on Daily Driver Choice

whtT

I just took a job that will increase my daily commute from 22 miles a day to almost exactly 100 miles. Needless to say, my Z71 Silverado is not going to cut it - not only is it pushing 95,000 miles now, but the 14mpg will nearly eat me alive.

So I've been looking for a new daily driver. Looking to get around 35mpg; I want a manual transmission; need to be able to drive it year round in Michigan weather; otherwise the only other options I need is cruise control and a CD player. I'm also looking to only spend about 8 - 10k.

I've been looking at the Ford Focus ZX3, maybe a Cobalt, and would go for a MINI Cooper (probably one of the few imports I'd consider driving) if I could find one in my price range. The local used car dealer had a Pontiac Vibe on the lot that looked like it was worth considering.

Anyone had any experience with any of the above cars or any suggestions on a good daily driver? Not looking for fun or power, just reliable transportation that won't eat me alive in fuel costs.

I have a 1989 crown vic that i use to commute. Gets 25 mpg on the highway. Not bad seeing since you can carry 6 people and car-pooling helps with the gas. Very good daily driver at $1500. Cheap reliable cars with those 5.0s.

Why not a TDI (turbo diesel) VW like a jetta? Great mpg...some as high as 50+, lots of TQ, and actually are pretty fun to drive. The 1.8Ts are more fun, but the mileage isnt near as good. The TDIs can be had pretty cheap since the MKIV body style had many years in prod.

I'm very happy with my 2000 Grand Prix GT. Sweet looking car, comfy, gets 30 mpg on the road and the only problem I've had in 3 years is a stuck thermostat. $5 fix. Got it with 69,000 on the clock for $8900. These cars are pretty plentiful and a GTP would add some fun factor if you can score one. All these W platform GM (Regal,Monte,Impala, GP) cars with the 3.8 are pretty reliable and cheap cars.

the pontiac vibe is actually built by toyota(matrix). so if you can deal with its looks, you will get a pretty decent and reliable car. if i was looking in your price range, i would buy a 98-99 lexus gs300/400. the 300 gets 28 mpg, and the 400 gets 24mpg. plus the 400 runs a 14.3 bone stock in the 1/4. but i am biased, because i used to drive a gs400. also the top speed of the 400 is 148 mph(verified personally:)) and those years had high marks for reliability too

Toyota Camry

I drive an 86 Honda Accord with 188k on it to work 30miles round trip. It gets 30-32mpg hwy and has very low maint costs. The air is ice cold and she is currently at the paint shop getting a brand spankin new $300.00 restoration........LOL....

If I were buying a car for commuting the 2002-03 Toyota Camry would be my choice in that price range. Since the new body style came out the prices have really dropped. Toyota was even considerate enough to do away with the timing belts that had been known to be so costly. My wife has an 03 Camry with 50k miles and it get 38 mpg on the hwy. It is also extremely comfortable and at the rate its going I know it will last forever.

just my opinion