Air cleaner option

b4black

I have always wondered if the stock air cleaner carb elbow was a restriction. It's only has a 3" opening and it gets squished down going from the front to the top. I don't have an answer yet, but I finally found a air cleaner that should help figure it out. It 3¼" tall overall ($2 at the junkyard :) )

filter.jpg

It fits into the hole in the hood insulation and leaves plenty of space for air to flow to it.. I was worried it would hit the hood when closed, so I did the trick with a ball of alumimun and there is plenty of room...
filter2.jpg

Interesting idea Rich and if that's the one I'm thinking about it's used usually for dual carb engines in old school hot rods. I think you could surround it with something and add a 4" hose for fresh air.

I have always wondered if the stock air cleaner carb elbow was a restriction. It's only has a 3" opening and it gets squished down going from the front to the top.....]

Just my .02 cents worth: In it's stock form it may very well be a restriction. But most of us have adapted all kinds of slick ways to get past that. I made mine so that the air is forced in from below. (Had many comments that it looks like a one eyed Cyclops....Very Cool, literally:)). The faster one goes, the more air is pushed in. So even if the OEM air cleaner is a restriction, won't the forced air cancel it out? There's also the benefit of the cooler air. And you should see how it responds on wet drizzly days. It picks up cool condensed air coming off of the roadway as water evaporates.

Attached a couple of picks to get my point across:

Last edited: