Air Conditioning problems

87lc2/wo2

I turned on the A/C, and the car blows hot air. I recharged the system and it showed it was full, but the A/C compressor would not engage, or turn on. I disconnected the low pressure switch on the accumulator and it turned on. I reconnected it to the switch and it still wouldn't turn on. I replaced the switch, bought a new can of freon, but to no avail, the compressor still doesn't turn on. Any suggestions? The system is retrofitted to 134A.

I turned on the A/C, and the car blows hot air. I recharged the system and it showed it was full, but the A/C compressor would not engage, or turn on. I disconnected the low pressure switch on the accumulator and it turned on. I reconnected it to the switch and it still wouldn't turn on. I replaced the switch, bought a new can of freon, but to no avail, the compressor still doesn't turn on. Any suggestions? The system is retrofitted to 134A.

Jumper the two terminals on the plug on the low pressure switch and see if it comes on.

I jumped the 2 terminal female plug with a wire and the compressor works fine, but even with the new low pressure switch the compressor doesn't work when I connect the plug to it. Yes, the compressor works fine when using a jumper wire, but not when connected to the old or new switch. What do you think about the a/c relay?

You cannot "charge" the system without the compressor engaged. There are several very descriptive threads on how to charge your system that need to be read.

Good point. With the jumper wire connected into the female plug and the compressor running, I then put freon into the low pressure "blue cap" area on the accumulator, but the air was still blowing warm. :confused:

How many cans did you put in? For me it usually takes 3 cans.

Have you made sure the condensor wasn't clogged with bugs and debris? It needs air to freely flow across it to dissipate heat off the refrigerant gasses.

Also was the engine fan on to draw air across condensor?

On a last note there is also a screw in between the prongs of the switch on the accumulator. When you convert to R-134a you're supposed to turn that little screw CCW as R-134a operates at lower pressures than R-12.

Was the system empty when you tried to charge it? If it was it needs to be sucked down to full vacuum before charging or it won't charge right. Since you've bypassed the low pressure switch the compressor will turn on regardless.

I used one and a half cans. I'll check the screw on accumulator plug. As far as the condenser fins, there's no debris of any sort blocking the airflow. I assumed I had enough freon when I looked at the gauge on the trigger which stated full. How hard would it be to change the orifice tube? I think I'll take it to a A/C shop.
Additional information: I just got the Turbo T running after 2 years. I gave it a oil change and a bath. While running the engine, I turned on the A/C was not blowing cold and the compressor not turning on.

When i changed the compressor and accumulator i also changed the "little filter" in the orifice tube. They wouldn't warranty it without it.
Yours is probably clogged up.
It's located in one of the upper lines.

Bob

I used one and a half cans. I'll check the screw on accumulator plug. As far as the condenser fins, there's no debris of any sort blocking the airflow. I assumed I had enough freon when I looked at the gauge on the trigger which stated full. How hard would it be to change the orifice tube? I think I'll take it to a A/C shop.
Additional information: I just got the Turbo T running after 2 years. I gave it a oil change and a bath. While running the engine, I turned on the A/C was not blowing cold and the compressor not turning on.

If it was completly empty 1.5 cans won't cut it. The factory charge was 3.25 LBS of R12 or about 4.3 12 oz cans. And in my experience it takes almost that much R134a to get the system to cool.

You should always charge by the gauge not by how much. Even I could learn to read a set of manifold gauges. Borrow a set of gauges and get a reading and you can get a better picture of what's going on.

Also don't overlook the heater blend door. If it's not closing completely you'll get air from the heater core

You did pull a vacuum on the system before you charged it, right?

Jump the compressor out and let it run as you charge GAS only.... no liquid and watch the suction pressure on your gages, you don't want to freeze the coil. Putting the can in a bucket of warm water will help you get the last few ounces into the system.

I keep hearing that the aluminum conversion fittings are no good and to use steel or brass. Every local store only carry aluminum, any suggestions on where to get steel or brass fittings? thanks.