Air conditioning recharge - Red Tek 12a

Seems similar to Freeze 12. I have used that product for years keeping my AC going on the GN. Very small leak just need a can a season.

Seems similar to Freeze 12. I have used that product for years keeping my AC going on the GN. Very small leak just need a can a season.
I'm in the same situation with a small leak that needs a can once a year. Ran out of R-12 & would like to try the RED TEK R12a. It seems you can just add it to a R12 system & restore the cold air once again. Anyone try it or have any feedback one way or another. Thanks for any input or suggestions to keep my current ac system working. Really don't want to convert to R134 but do miss the ac in the Buick.

I'm in the same situation with a small leak that needs a can once a year. Ran out of R-12 & would like to try the RED TEK R12a. It seems you can just add it to a R12 system & restore the cold air once again. Anyone try it or have any feedback one way or another. Thanks for any input or suggestions to keep my current ac system working. Really don't want to convert to R134 but do miss the ac in the Buick.

I bought a similar kit off Amazon.com three years ago this July. My GN was blowing warm air and my AC had never been recharged or repaired since new in 1987. Drove it today and the air is still cool as it was when I recharged it with the kit. I got off lucky because I was figuring the AC would have failed or leaked the coolant out way before now....when it does I will have everything replaced. Until then more money in my pocket for other toys. Good luck.

I bought a similar kit off Amazon.com three years ago this July. My GN was blowing warm air and my AC had never been recharged or repaired since new in 1987. Drove it today and the air is still cool as it was when I recharged it with the kit. I got off lucky because I was figuring the AC would have failed or leaked the coolant out way before now....when it does I will have everything replaced. Until then more money in my pocket for other toys. Good luck.
Thanks for the feedback, I'm looking for an easy solution & I think this will work for me as well. Looking forward to taking my chances & it's good to know that it worked for you. I'd rather spend money on upgrades, cosmetic improvements, performance parts, etc. than throw $'s at the AC. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

fe33c463264816755fceca06dac802de.jpg
you can find it on flee bay.

Last edited:
I bought & used Johnsons Freeze 12. Also very reasonably priced, & has held for 7 years now.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

The genuine article... R12 is usually easy to find on craigslist.

There is also enviro-safe. I think I bought a case of 12 on amazon for $55.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

fe33c463264816755fceca06dac802de.jpg
you can find it on flee bay.
The genuine article... R12 is usually easy to find on craigslist.
Thanks blackazz, that is the exact kit that I bought. I used it today & with the first can the compressor began cycling and AC began to blow cold. I ended up using both cans & now have a working AC system again. I bought more Redtek for future use. Just wanted to let others know that this is a viable solution without spending alot of money on R12 cans that are 20 + years old. Many times I see other members problems but don't see what finally worked for them. Wanted to share that if you have a working R12 system that just needs a charge & don't want to convert to R134 this seems to be a good way to go. Looking forward to driving around in comfort this summer.

Thanks blackazz, that is the exact kit that I bought. I used it today & with the first can the compressor began cycling and AC began to blow cold. I ended up using both cans & now have a working AC system again. I bought more Redtek for future use. Just wanted to let others know that this is a viable solution without spending alot of money on R12 cans that are 20 + years old. Many times I see other members problems but don't see what finally worked for them. Wanted to share that if you have a working R12 system that just needs a charge & don't want to convert to R134 this seems to be a good way to go. Looking forward to driving around in comfort this summer.
So you didn't change the drier,oil. just fill an go right?

So you didn't change the drier,oil. just fill an go right?
Yeah, I did also add the stop leak can for what its worth. Pressure measured out to 42 at low side port. AC blowing cold thou it's only in the 60's in NJ today. Compressor cycling normally, will be a better test when we hit some warmer days in the near future. Thinking about adding oil the next time I need to charge the system.