Air conditioning...

rosadod

It doesn't seem to be blowing cold. I think I read somewhere that most people have/are converting to a different system (R134a?). I'm not sure what I should check first... any ideas? Pretty sure I have the stock setup. Also, when the A/C is on the car seems to surge (idle higher) every 5 seconds or so. Any Ideas?

If it's surging then your compressor is at least cycling. The idle will jump when the AC engages because it's programmed into the chip.Check under the hood and listen for the click.

All of this means that it's at least partially charged, assuming there's no bad sounds from the compressor it's probably good. If it hasn't been converted over I'd charge it with R-12 and see if it holds.

If it leaks down then time to convert.

It could also be other things like a blocked condensor. Bad expansion valve. Have someone put a set of gauges on it and look.

Sounds like you are low on refrigerant. If its low, its leaking.Every year mine leaks out enough to do exactly what yours is doing. I'm going to convert it this year.

If it's surging then your compressor is at least cycling. The idle will jump when the AC engages because it's programmed into the chip.Check under the hood and listen for the click.

All of this means that it's at least partially charged, assuming there's no bad sounds from the compressor it's probably good. If it hasn't been converted over I'd charge it with R-12 and see if it holds.

If it leaks down then time to convert.

It could also be other things like a blocked condensor. Bad expansion valve. Have someone put a set of gauges on it and look.

How can I tell if it's beed converted? Where can I get some R-12 from?

Silver T Top
Interesting stuff! I know they have a drop in replacement for R-12 called "hot shot".
They sell it at the supply houses where I buy residential refrigerant. I know the last time I bought 12 was about 5 years ago I believe. It was at an Auto Zone. I had to show my certification and license. It was expensive. I remember it being 99 cents a can!

Silver T Top
Interesting stuff! I know they have a drop in replacement for R-12 called "hot shot".
They sell it at the supply houses where I buy residential refrigerant. I know the last time I bought 12 was about 5 years ago I believe. It was at an Auto Zone. I had to show my certification and license. It was expensive. I remember it being 99 cents a can!

Think I am going to call this place tomorrow and see whats what. I can personally vouch for a buddy that uses it in his old nasty Chevy truck, used to have a small leak where he would have to recharge every spring, hasn't touched it in 4 years now. I remember also when 12 could be had for 99 a can, used to make for cheap entertainment with my 22 rifle !:biggrin:

A lot of people complain of their car not blowing as cold as it did with r12 once its charged with 134. there is a different orfice tube you can get that pulses refrigerant through it instead of a steady flow. My old boss says they work pretty good. they are a little pricey i think their 40 or 50 bucks:eek: This would know more. bill at auto kool systems 630-834 -0614.

If it's surging then your compressor is at least cycling. The idle will jump when the AC engages because it's programmed into the chip.

I'm probably just going to have it converted. So, continuous surging with the A/C on (heat on too) is typical of how it should operate? Seems weird to me.

could it your low pressure switch?
I'm going to convert over to 134a sometime in the next couple days when I get time. Sams is selling a case of 12 cans right now for $46.

My system was converted over to 134a about a year and a half ago_Originally it was low on R12 refridgerant.It was switched over in the fall.By the time I took the car out in the spring, it was low again.Had it refilled again.Three weeks later low again.This is getting expensive by now.The mechanic who refilled it said the molecules on the R134a are smaller than the R12.He said he could not detect a leak anywhere with the black light test.It must be leaking alot to empty in three weeks! He said I would probably have to keep refilling it,and that my compressor might have a leaky seal.My question is for those low on R12 refridgerant.Wouldnt it be a waste to switch over to the R134a because its gonna leak out anyway with the smaller molecules? I want this fixed.I'm probably gonna have to replace the compressor and start all over.Not looking forward to the bill.:(

How do I drain the system of the R12 so I can do the conversion myself to R134 myself? Is continuous surging with the A/C on (heat on too) typical of how the system should operate?

How do I drain the system of the R12 so I can do the conversion myself to R134 myself? Is continuous surging with the A/C on (heat on too) typical of how the system should operate?

Find an AC shop to evacuate the system. They should do this for nothing since they can resell the R-12 to be used in other systems.

Heat or defrost? THe ECM commands a idle speed increase when the A/C comes on and idle may increase. I don't know if you would call that surging. The A/C does come when the defrost is selected.

Find an AC shop to evacuate the system. They should do this for nothing since they can resell the R-12 to be used in other systems.

Heat or defrost? THe ECM commands a idle speed increase when the A/C comes on and idle may increase. I don't know if you would call that surging. The A/C does come when the defrost is selected.

When I put the A/C on, the idle will increase then go back to normal every about 5 seconds. It keeps doing this as long as the A/C is on.

When I put the A/C on, the idle will increase then go back to normal every about 5 seconds. It keeps doing this as long as the A/C is on.

Is the A/C compressor cycling on and off. If so the charge is low.

Rosadod, it could definetly be causing the surge, if... your ac compressor definetly is cycling on and off. Its easy to tell, just look at it while its running. You'll see the clutch engage and the whole front mechanism on the compressor will rotate with the pulley. If you compressor isn't coming on, or isn't cycling, and your still getting a surge in idle when any of the ac settings on your climate control are selected,... then my best guess is the high pressure switch or your chip settings. Someone whos more knowledgeable would have to chime in.