ALKY Control MAP? and other install tips

Blown&Injected

About the directions that say to simply replace the stock MAP sensor and that's it, except for the green wire for the PAC that may be tapped into in the dash...

That is for a stock analog dash with working boost gauge.

My question is: Does it matter if the gauge is correct? My Autometer mechanical gauge says 5 in. mg. when the factory gauge already has 5 psi of boost registering on the lights under the tach.

Of course my tach also says 5,000 rpm's just off idle.

Also wondering about the page that just has detail about the GN 2 and 3 BAR MAP sensor wiring.

What is the "attached regulator assembly"? Red wire gets 12 volts??? I'm thinking this is not relevant for my application.

Anybody have any other tips or learn anything that helps for install?

TIA

Umm, if your dash is off like that it may have dirty power going from the dash to the map. I would take a volt meter and see that you have a clean 4.95-5 volts on the grey and black map wires with the key on, also check the green wire (with it plugged into the NEW map and key on/car off) to make sure you have 1.6v. if not you will need to rewire power from the tps output on the ecm to the engine/dash harness behind the glove box...

Unplug OEM 2 bar map.. plug in the 3 bar map.. turn your ignition on.. confirm 1.6volts on your green wire at the MAP sensor.. "IF" you have the 1.6.. attach the green wire run it to the controller.. BADA BING... your done.

Dont stress the easy stuff.. :wink:

PS.. if your working on a fuel injected vehicle and dont have a digital voltmeter.. go and buy one. ;) They're cheap.. sometimes a few bucks on sale.

There is a saying.. "Dont jump of the Titanic before it hits the iceburg" .. Meaning address problems as they come up. Not IF they come up.

Thanks

Well my cheap 25 year old Radio Shack analog meter got dropped just one to many times and the needle is stuck so now it really is time for a new one.

BTW, the new MAP sensor is in and now my stock boost gauge reads within about 1 PSI of my Autometer gauge.

I will check the 1.6 volt reading at the clear connector under the dash bezel since that is where I will be hooking up the PAC but it is looking good :)

Was thinking about another Radio Shack unit since the last one served me so well - but I thought I have seen Fluke meters at Lowes

I have owned 2 Fluke 77's for over 20 years now.. things are bullet proof.. but hey. I paid 170 for a multimeter.. so I guess you get what you pay for :)

They are still on the benches at my shop.. used daily.