All GNs now emissions exempt in Texas

pmoore4321

I just got back from getting my '87 inspected. It feels good to no longer have to run outlaw....:D

Next year it's going to wear antique plates.

I was under the impression that the '87's were not smog exempt in Texas until 2012. :confused:

The real question is where did you go to get inspected and who do we ask for?!!!:biggrin:

I was under the impression that the '87's were not smog exempt in Texas until 2012. :confused:

The inspection law is 24 years or older that vechicles are emissions exempt in Texas.

1987 models are now 24 years old. 1997 is 10 years 2007 is 20 years and 2011 is 24 years.

John Martin

Cool, i thought my inspector told me 25 years, maybe i was thinking about antique plates?! either way that is great news!!! i can now install my exhaust and not worry about ordering an emissions chip when i get my TT chip!!!

Thanks for the info!!!

Yea, antique plates are 25 years. I have an 86 442 and I got antiques for it today. $30 for 5-year registration. No front license plate required and no inspections.

I have heard you cannot use 1980s vintage license plates for the classic or antique registrations. The reason being is that those plates had registration stickers affixed to the plate, not the windshield. Anyone know if this is true? I cant find anything official stating they cant used.

Man am I pumped to hear that! I thought we had til next year for the '87 cars also. So we just go get inspected and get a new sticker, no more emissions? That just made my day!

Yes, but remember you will still have the "visual" emissions test. I would be careful with EGR block offs, cat deletes, etc. Some places don't really check at all, but some scrutinize. I removed my driver side open air breather and put the old oil filler back in. I also wrapped the passenger side breather in black electrical tape for that "stock" look. The place I went probably didn't care, but I didn't feel like "shopping" inspection houses.

The whole "inspection" process is a joke anyway. It's just a money making scheme for the State.

Here is what the official website states:

"Is your vehicle required to be emissions tested?

All Texas registered vehicles are required to receive an annual inspection. All inspections include a comprehensive safety inspection; however, some vehicles are required to have an emissions test in addition to the safety inspection.

Which vehicles are required to have the emissions test?

Vehicles registered in designated counties. Designated counties include: Brazoria, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Montgomery, Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, Travis, Williamson and El Paso counties.

Gasoline powered vehicles. Diesel powered vehicles and motorcycles are exempt from emissions testing, but are still required to have the annual safety inspection.

Vehicles 2 through 24 years old OR upon expiration of the two-year initial inspection sticker."

From what I read, 24 year old vehicles still will require emissions testing.

88-1 year old
89-2
90-3
91-4
92-5
93-6
94-7
95-8
96-9
97-10
98-11
99-12
00-13
01-14
02-15
03-16
04-17
05-18
06-19
07-20
08-21
09-22
10-23
11-24 years old

I hope I'm wrong since I failed the emissions test 3 times in a row as late as Saturday, January 1, 2011. So are you saying anything beyond January 1st, 2011 is 24 years + x days old, therefore past 24 years old?

So are you saying anything beyond January 1st, 2011 is 24 years + x days old, therefore past 24 years old?

Yep...:D

Three different inspection stations with three eligible cars over the last three years and all mine have passed inspection. I didn't even mention the exempt status to the inspector, they already knew it. I think it pops up when they enter the VIN in the computer.

That's right this year I only had to do the inspection. No emissions.
Thats good too since I have an 08' lq4 and no cat converter yet. But, it probably runs cleaner then the 85 motor.

Yep...:D

Three different inspection stations with three eligible cars over the last three years and all mine have passed inspection. I didn't even mention the exempt status to the inspector, they already knew it. I think it pops up when they enter the VIN in the computer.

If the car is exempt it is pre-programed into the computer. This way the inspection station can't rip off the owner of the car.:biggrin:

I think every vehicle I have has a breather in the valve cover and I have left it on for years, I used to put the original filler cap back on it but one day said hell, they know me since I have to get something inspected every other month..I just left it on...hell now they don't even put my car on the tread mill any more, just do an idle and high idle test with the sniffer.
He'll even do a "test" run to see if it will pass if I tell him I have doubts for some reason it will not pass.

BTW, if you have Grundy Ins, you get a huge break on insurance when it hits 25 years old too, about 40% reduction! Don't know if thats true of other collector / classic ins carriers.

:confused: I just had my car safety/emission checked this past monday in Parker County. And yes it "DID" get the sniffer up the tail pipe and ran on the dyno!!!!!!! The inspector said that next year it will only need the safety inspection..........and just a heads-up for anyone that has a diesel pickup, he said that in 2012 they are going to start emission testing them at $60.00 a pop.

La8agn;2681294 And yes it "DID" get the sniffer up the tail pipe and ran on the dyno!!!!!!! [/QUOTE said:
Didn't even know that Parker county did the dyno/treadmill!

Wise County is about the only county that surrounds Tarrant county that escaped the required emission checks, not sure about the counties that surround Dallas county. I've had my car for 5 years and it has been checked every year, thanks to Turbo Tweak my car has never failed:smile:.