Alternative Power steering reservoirs.

87GNSteve

Just another pretty face....
As some have come to find out the power steering reservoir is long gone from GM parts shelves and NOS ones are commanding prices of $200 and used from $80-130.
There has been mention of using the one out of a mid 90's Chevy Astro van. there is an early where both hose connections exit on the same side and a later years where the hose barbs are located in opposite sides.
(Shown below)
I have some pictures of the mock up and how it can be installed onto the factory bracket with out drilling. This method also boosts the unit up a little bit as the reservior would be a little low on the inner fender.
The inlet/outlet barbs are angled a bit more outboard than I would like so it may require using a longer hose. The nice thing is its metal and virtually indestructible and has a common off the shelf cap.

Later style:
000_0016[1].JPG

Earlier Style:
000_0007[1].JPG

Mounting pieces to install without drilling:
000_0009[1].JPG
000_0011[1].JPG
000_0012[1].JPG

In the car:
000_0013[1].JPG
000_0015[1].JPG

Last edited:
Now this one is my favorite and what I wound up installing on my car it was from an 04 VW Passat.
Has a ZF reservoir and did require removal of the large mounting bracket from the VW car. That bracket then needs to be cut and welded or riveted to the factory Buick reservoir bracket.
I like this one since it is close to factory size and has a nice vented cap and it is is able to swivel left and right to orient to any hose position to prevent kinking the lines.
I did need to use a reducing hose barb from 1/2 to 3/8 for the return line but that was an ordinary hardware store item.
I intend to powder coat the bracket when I get the chance and make it blend in a little better.

000_0004[1].JPG
000_0005[1].JPG
000_0006[1].JPG

That looks like it would work fine. Have to keep that one in the memory banks. I am always nervous when working around the reservoir, I dont' want to break off one the outlets.

It certainly looks the same. And that is inexpensive. I bet a Buick A/C accumulator/drier bracket would work with these reservoirs too.
Not sure about that one, but on the one I have the internals have a anti foaming plate and the return line barb is slightly smaller.

There was another that I thought would work well but it has proved to be elusive so not such a great choice but it was from an LS400 Lexus metal with two hose barbs on the same side.