alternative radiator for 86 87 gns

the wrath

caddy fleetwoods with 4100 caddy motor have the same radiator as our cars 82 to 85 caddys they even have oil cooler lines built in ck it out

thanks, ill look into that tomorrow when i go to the yard, ive been looking for a stock gn rad. is it the same as an 87? have you actually had one in your car, or does it just look the same>?

i saw a bunch in the yard, and they look exaclty identical, even the fitting for the cooler. ill try to get one out this week and take a closer look, but id like to see if anyone knows for sure before i go through the trouble....

Even if this radiator is the same, which I doubt, what's the point? Just a junkyard unit that's older than the originals in our cars. I just switched to an F-body unit, just a junkyard unit, but it's aluminum. New they're only $120. My car runs at 168* with the air on, with temps in the 90s. Saved at least 10lbs over the stocker, runs cooler with stock fan. I had to install an aftermarket oil cooler. I bought a dual pass so it cools both engine oil and trans oil.

funny thing is...that these two radiators come up as different part numbers when i check it in my computer at the autoparts store...the caddy is a little more expensive...go figure

Originally posted by Haynesie
funny thing is...that these two radiators come up as different part numbers when i check it in my computer at the autoparts store...the caddy is a little more expensive...go figure

Go figure? Different number=different parts. ;)

Not trying to use a junkyard replacement. Just trying to figure out a cheap replacement with a built in oil cooler..nothing wrong with trying to help people out

Originally posted by Cme2fly
Not trying to use a junkyard replacement. Just trying to figure out a cheap replacement with a built in oil cooler..nothing wrong with trying to help people out

You can't help people with BAD information. Don't be so defensive. I'm just trying to help but with correct information. This thread is based on incorrect information. Cadillac radiators do have an oil cooler but, unfortunately, they are 36" long. As far as I know, there is no cheap replacement with an oil cooler. Use an external oil cooler like I did. F-body radiator IS a cheap replacement, and more importantly, it actually runs cool. ;)

John, you are talking about 90's or later, fwd, right? I think the original poster was talking about 81-85 or so, rwd. Maybe those were like ours? Just trying to put all the data together. Even if the core needs replacing, the tanks might be useful to have.

Hey Carl...........no, I'm referring to RWD full size Cadillacs that were sold during the 80s. That unit is 36" long. I'm not sure about the height. Sure, I guess the end tanks could be saved and re-cored if they are the same height as our radiators. May be useful to someone. :)

Thats all you had to say..If the dimensions are incorrect it will not work..agreed the F-body is a more feasible replace for the TR, but it would be nice to have a replace that is cheap with an oil-cooler built in.:D

cooling

if you can get the junk yard radiator as a core for cheep. You would be able to turn it into a 5 core heavy duty for 225-250. and it would be a bolt in item. Those end tanks are hard to find.