alternative to K&N filter?

1 quik6

I'm in process of collecting parts while my engine is getting built. On my list is a new air filter. My mechanic is not a fan of the cotton air filters (like K&N) because of their dust collecting properties. He says they flow great but the loose weave does not trap the dirt before entering the engine.

Has anybody used a cone filter setup that isn't a K&N type connon filter? I understand that a paper or foam may not flow quite as well but trap more dirt from entering the engine. Is there anything that has a flow that is even close?

I was checking out the AEM dryflow filters but they don't make those in the size I wanted. I've been using an 8" K&N. AEM sells either 9" (which won't fit) or 5" (which seemed kindof small to me).

Any Suggestions?

I guess all our engines are Dirty from all the K&N filters we are using????
Maybe thats your mechanics "opinion" K&N filters in my "opinion" are pretty decent. Clean & oil them as required & I dont see why they would let in so much dirt compared to any other brand?? What brand does He Suggest?? He must like a certain one?

He has been doing some research to figure out which one he thinks is best. A K&N and other cotton filters have such a loose weave that you can see through them. If you can see through I would think that dust could also get sucked through.

I am not saying K&N filters are junk. I am just researching to see if there is another brand out there that has compairable flow but better filtration.

There are enough K&N users out there that I knew this would be contraversial. K&N has probably captured 98% of our business for the airfilter on modified turbo buicks. I'm just asking to hear from the other 2% and get opinions.

Thanks!

Amsoil has the EAA line of filters. About the same flow as the K&N and better than the stock paper filtration. It's the best of both worlds but Amsoil needs to get with their marketing since no one has heard of these. No oil needed and it's washable.

Amsoil has the EAA line of filters. About the same flow as the K&N and better than the stock paper filtration. It's the best of both worlds but Amsoil needs to get with their marketing since no one has heard of these. No oil needed and it's washable.

COOL84..i think we look at the same threads all the time...lol he is right..Im using an Amsoil 9'' cone filter. Its a dry element no messy oils and you can blow it out with air..or wash it if it makes you feel better with with warm soapy water. Also with crank case breather filters. They come in universal sizes and for stock replacement applications. I thnk I still have a thread in the vendor section. Otherwise for more info click my link by my sig.

Attachments

• filter front.jpg
    filter front.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 147
  • filter side.jpg
    filter side.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 144