Alternator Question

VIJim

First off I did try searching but didn't have any luck.
I was going to install my scanmaster and found a wire in one of the ign plugs on the fuse block. Turns out it is going to the alternator. I hate wiring issues and want to make sure this is okay and if not I'll replace it. Here is a picture of the back of the alternator showing where the single wire connects to.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 1430800393202.jpg
    1430800393202.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 132
Sounds like someone just wanted to get around the factory wiring of exciting the alternator, and wanted to make sure it charged whenever the key is turned on.
Not so sure how that's going to work out. Maybe the bulb in the dash (that supplies power to excite the alternator) and a previous owner was just too lazy to replace it, so ran that wire to supply the 12v signal to the alternator.

Is the single brown wire the one that is supposed to go to the dash light?
If that's the case the fix is to replace the bulb, install a proper field fix and reconnect the wire to the bulb?

If the current wire is on the F terminal of the alternator connector, you are good to go. If it is on the L terminal, move it to the F terminal. Else it will eventually wreak the regulator in the alternator.

The L terminal is the dash lamp connection. While the F terminal is the field connection, which is where switched IGN+ gets wired to eliminate the problems with the dash light.

RemoveBeforeFlight