Aluminum rear drums

Q

quikv6

One of my rear drums has a crack and needs to be replaced. I need the aluminum drums for the tire clearance. I already have a wheel spacer and still only have 1/4" or less from the frame rail with the 295's.

Can these drums be easily found in the wrecking yard? Where else can these be purchesed? Thank you.

I have found these drums at the wrecking yard, I think some of the F bodies also used them (Camaro, Firebird). Just take a drum with you or at least write down the part number that's cast into the drum. How easily you will find them depends on your auto yard. I have also bought a pair from the TR for sale ads here. I got a good deal and the alum. drums are not too expensive to mail either.

Originally posted by quikv6
One of my rear drums has a crack and needs to be replaced. I need the aluminum drums for the tire clearance.

The aluminum drums change the backspacing? Does it push the wheels out farther? How much of a difference do they make?

Thanks Ken, I'll check the local yards and bring the old drum with me.

alum drums

i tnink bweavy has them. dont know how much. imho.

The aluminum drums are about 3/32" thicker than cast iron ones so they space your tires away from the frame that much more.

Just for information here is a list of cars that came with the
alum. brake drums I have, I got this off the Gnttype list a few
years ago

83-84 Blazer/Jimmy S/T models
80-84 Buick LeSaber 85 RWD
78-81 Buick Century
78-87 Buick Regal
81-85 Buick Riviera
82-92 Chevy Camaro
86-89 Chev Full Size passenger cars
78-81 Chev Malibu
78-88 Chevy Monte Carlo
82-84 Chevy S10/S15
80-85 Olds Delta 88
78-82 Olds Cutlass
80-81 Pont Bonneville
83-85 Pont Bonneville
86 Pont Parisienne
82-92 Pont Firebird
78-85 Pont LeMans
78-88 GMC Sptint/El Camino

You must check the steel liner because the liner can not take
much rework. The drums are 9.50" outside by 2" width.

Take Care

Neal is right.

Aluminum drums actually are a composite: Aluminum drums with a cast iron liner.

Even before they get to max diameter, the abuse a T-R can dish out during powerbraking can cause stress cracks in the liner.

I grenaded one of my swapmeet Al drums a few years back. You can't argue with the 12 pound weight savings, though, So I'm always looking for good ones when go shopping at the j-yard.

Thanks for the info Neal. I was able to locate 2 drums from a camaro in good condition. Part number is 1255496 same as my original T drums.

Originally posted by Two Lane
What would be the desirable range for thickness-remaining?

TIA! :)

Since the one of mine that exploded was still .020 smaller than the max diameter cast into the drum, I definately would not use ones machined beyond the max oversize limit.

there's a number missing from that part #. if you could post the entire # thanks