Another head question..er...questions

Maltman

Alright...2 years off and I'm itching to get back into the car except it sits in a few different pieces right now. :(

I had what felt like power loss (gradually) since it was rebuilt and didn't like what was happening, so I decided that I was going to do something about my stock heads to try and open things up. After taking the heads off I noticed a few cylinders had some mild vertical scuffing on the lateral walls...which will need to be addressed.

But to the main questions. I run the stock irons, but had them fitted with T&D rr's and use the GN1 valve covers. So, here it goes.

1. Do I have everything needed if I want to buy the aluminum heads and skip the iron porting

2. Since I don't plan on having a car that runs 9s, should I just port the irons and call it good. If so, what valve changes should be made (searching revealed many things, but nothing concise) and what numbers should I expect stock versus ported.

It seems to be a common question on the board concerning what way to go, but I'm just asking for some help with costs....direction will hopefully come from the decision fairy and make my life easier :rolleyes:

Thanks

Mark

you really need...

to decide how fast you want to go. Tuning is the key, but going past the mid 11's will get easier w/the ported irons, but the gn-1's won't hurt either. You have to remember, the goal for most of us out there is usually around "faster":eek: :biggrin:

......But to the main questions. I run the stock irons, but had them fitted with T&D rr's and use the GN1 valve covers. So, here it goes.

1. Do I have everything needed if I want to buy the aluminum heads.....Thanks Mark

The roller rockers for stock heads are different than for alum heads and will not line up properly.

Depending on the age and configuration of your T&D's, they could possibly be modified to fit alum heads.

Hmmm...what needs to happen to "modify" the rockers? If it is a simple bolt on, I could handle that...but any tooling is beyond my skill level. The rockers were purchased about 4 years ago...maybe 5..can't quite remember.

I haven't checked prices in about 2 years, so I'm out of touch with the best price/vendor for heads or rockers....but does anyone offer to convert rockers to the aluminums if I sent the rockers to them prior to shipping of the heads?

I meet with my head guy this saturday and will find out the approximate price for modifying my existing irons, but if I know that price and the price of going aluminum...I can make a sound decision...I think

Mark

....hmmm....or maybe I should just buy from you nick :D Except I'd want to keep my intake and wonder if you'd take it and port-to-match without exchanging for a powder coat one (had mine jet coated already)