Another rear main ??

speedskills

Seniór Member
I was reading about rear main install on gnttype, and noticed the operator said to install the rear main seal with the groove facing engine. The packaging says large face towards engine. It seems to me the large face is not the grooved side. Does anyone know the correct way to install these. Anyone that has done them many times would be of great help. TIA

A lip seal always goes toward the fluid source//////////////
Well I guess I'm tearing this biatch down again. :mad: Any other suggestions on making a good seal? I used rtv in the cavities on the side of the cap. Is this a good idea? I know there are alot of internet engineers out there and I dont want to have to keep doing this over and over.

The large face has a groove in it and it goes toward the front of the engine. Just picture the way a front cover or axle seal is installed. The highest part of the seal goes toward the oil source and the side that slopes goes away from the oil source. Most guys use the Right Stuff to fill the grooves in the cap. I also use Permatex Teflon Pipe Sealant between the cap and the block, but not on the seal ends. You will still have a 50/50 chance of it leaking a little.

If using RTV you really have to get those cavities free of oil or the rtv wont stick.....ELectric motor cleaner or brake cleaner is your friend. Also stagger the seal so it isnt flush with the cap registers....one side sticking out a 1/4 of a inch and that will stagger the other end up...one down and one up.