Another Tornado convert

87geeinn

Buick and AMG pilot
Well, I finally got sick of the ridiculous turbo surge that I was getting with my setup, so I decided I'd try the Tornado and see what happened.

IT WORKS.

When I first used it on my existing 3" MAF pipe, it dramatically reduced the surge to where I only had a little bit of flutter in the 10-15psi range. I ended up fabbing up a new 3" pipe out of those ricer parts from PimpBoys that included a sharper 60* bend out from the turbo. This, coupled with the Tornado, eliminated all surging and fluttering. For the naysayers: I don't care if I've made a slight restriction in the inlet because, 1) I can't feel a difference/loss in power 2) The car is much more pleasureable to drive now. My turbo surge was so bad in the mid-boost range that my car would buck and the turbo would actually stall sometimes if I tried to maintain say, 10psi boost. Also, I must note that all that violent surging was tearing my turbo up. I have some play in the compressor wheel now on a turbo with only ~10k miles on it. :mad:

I do know that the surge has something to do with the direction and flow of air in the inlet track because I've noticed that a sharper bend anywhere pre-turbo in the inlet helps alleviate the surge somewhat. I noticed this before installing the Tornado when I was toying around with different inlet setups. Also, the volume and backpressure between the turbo and motor can be significant contributing factors as well. For example, I have a TA49 with a 3" DP, test pipe, Hooker exhaust, gbodyparts SLIC. In my opinion, all of these components reduced backpressure so much that the TA49 was operating waaay outside of it's map and trying to stuff all that air in an unopened stock motor.

BTW, I ordered my Tornado (part #KI-75) from Amazon for $48 shipped. There were five options for shipping. I selected the first "FREE Super Saver" shipping option (not the one that requires a trial of something) which was supposed to take 5-9 business days. I'm not sure what happened, but I received mine the next day in a FedEx box with a UPS label on it. The packing label still said that I had free shipping.

I too had the part throttle turbo surge with my combo listed below, I installed the tornado right in front of my turbo inlet bell and to my surprise no more turbo surge,hey it works, I too got sick of hearing that fluttering sound at the least bit of throttle. IT WORKS!

Yeeeeeeea BooooY!

LOL

Funny stuff.... glad you killed the surge.

:biggrin: A.j.

Yeah, I don't know which is worse, admitting that I have a Tornado on my car or the ricer parts. At least you can't see the Tornado! :p Maybe I should go back and see if they have any NAWWWZ stickers.

Yeah, I don't know which is worse, admitting that I have a Tornado on my car or the ricer parts. At least you can't see the Tornado! :p Maybe I should go back and see if they have any NAWWWZ stickers.

LOL, I have lots of ricer parts....... those kids sell all of there goodies for cheap when they braek there toys.... wastegates and BOVs are may favorite! LOL

You know, theres an additional 10HP for every sticker you have too!

:cool: A.j.

Awesome!! :biggrin: Credit Bruce Plecan (RIP... :( ) I was not aware that a TA49, 3" dp, and decent exhaust was enough to cause surge... :confused: I've said it many times.... I learn something nearly everytime I get on here... :) Glad you got it fixed, and thanks for reporting such!! :cool:

forgive my ignorance

but what exactly is turbo surge? What does it feel like? is it only a part throttle phenomenom or WOTonly ?

Reason I ask is that I don't think I've ever experienced it but I have added a bigger DP and a test pipe w/electric cutout now,not to mention a different MAF pipe . Am I going to be a candidate? Because of the winter I haven't been able to test out all my new changes.

I really noticed it when I swapped from my stock turbo to the TA 49, I also installed a 3" downpipe and gutted cat converter at the same time. The car basically started making that flutter or snorting sound at the least bit of throttle, I couldn't stand it, so in went the tornado,it works.

but what exactly is turbo surge? What does it feel like? is it only a part throttle phenomenom or WOTonly ?

Reason I ask is that I don't think I've ever experienced it but I have added a bigger DP and a test pipe w/electric cutout now,not to mention a different MAF pipe . Am I going to be a candidate? Because of the winter I haven't been able to test out all my new changes.

If you have a THDP, a TA49 and you have the boost set at... say 23 psi, but you only have enough octane for 18 psi (you are driving home from the track after pumping out your race gas).

A ricer in a Honda pull up next to you, throws you a rev and wants to go. You think "no problem, I'll just regulate the boost to 17 psi with my right foot".

With the TB partially open under boost, the flow is unsteady over the compressor and TB and the car car violently surge (power goes on-off rapidly... like wham-wham-wham). It can feel like your car is going to break in 1/2.

You'll know it if you get it. It generally happens when you have a high boost level set on the wastegate and you try to regulate boost with the throttle.

Turbo just died

Well, the turbo gave up the ghost today due to all this prior compressor surge. It only figures that once I solved the problem, the turbo went soon afterward. Was kind of expecting it. I noticed a lot of play in the compressor wheel a few weeks ago.

I was getting up to boost today and heard a nice screeeeeeech followed by a cloud of blue smoke out of the tailpipes. Luckily I was close enough that I just limped it home. Upon closer inspection you could see all the scuff marks where the compressor wheel was rubbing the housing. :(

Just a word from the wise. Find a way to cure your turbo surge and your turbo will thank you later.

BTW, anyone want to buy a TA49 in need of a rebuild? :)

Ah that sucks, compressor surge does put a load on the bearings so it's one big possibility it was the main contributor.

I have a Tornado for sale if anyone's interested, K70 for dirt, PM me.