Any air cooled VW bug owners out there?

Beamer

I am looking for someone that has put EMPI drop spindles on their air cooled bug.

We did this mod with disc brakes on my sons 69 bug last weekend to find out that it makes the front beam 3" wider and we are battling what tires to go to now. Currently with the 2 1/2" drop and 3" wider stance, the fender lips are at the tire edge.

I have joined 2 different VW forums and posted on Tuesday and neither board has had another post in those sections since. Definately not a TB board.

So, I am hoping to find another TB owner with some experience on this.

He has EMPI 8 spoke wheels on it with stock metric 185/15 tires (that need replacing). The tires are like an 80 series from what I understand. I am looking at some Kuhmo 155/60R15's for the front. They are 22" tall verses the current 24 1/2" now and should keep a nice amount of meat for stopping the car. We recently put a new 1914cc motor with dual Weber 40's and it runs good. I want more on the back and am looking at the same series tire in 205/65R15 which should be 25.5" tall to increase 1" and 2" of meat on the ground.

I am hoping that someone out there can give me a thumbs up or think about this before you buy.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Man thats the same set up on my wifes bug same wheels and all I dont have any good pics on my web site but here it is if you want to take a look. You cant tell in the pic but it has a good rake to it Ill try to take some more pics for you. I have 165/80R15 on all 4 corners and I shortened the beem I think 2in ill have to mesure it today to be sure what it came out to I put an adjuster in the center so I could play with the ride hight some if I needed to. Ill try and mesure it and take a pick from the side for you today.

https://sites.google.com/site/whatwazithinking/my-wife-s-1972-vw-bug

Man thats the same set up on my wifes bug same wheels and all I dont have any good pics on my web site but here it is if you want to take a look. You cant tell in the pic but it has a good rake to it Ill try to take some more pics for you. I have 165/80R15 on all 4 corners and I shortened the beem I think 2in ill have to mesure it today to be sure what it came out to I put an adjuster in the center so I could play with the ride hight some if I needed to. Ill try and mesure it and take a pick from the side for you today.

https://sites.google.com/site/whatwazithinking/my-wife-s-1972-vw-bug

Nice bug...reminds me of the one I sold. I ran the same setup as well.

Don't mean to jack your thread, but what kind of fuel mileage to you get with the old bugs? I'm thinking of building one as a driver after I get my TR lined out.

I used to run the SR 135 or 145s, If I remember right the 135s were discontinued in the early 90's.

Don't mean to jack your thread, but what kind of fuel mileage to you get with the old bugs? I'm thinking of building one as a driver after I get my TR lined out.

It is not that great. Remember, you are dealing with a carb. Unless you go for the fuel injection systems. They are expensive and I truly do not know how good they do for milage. My son actually gets like 15MPG at best I think. Heck, I get 18 with my 10 second turbo car.

Mike

Took some pics for you Im trying to upload them to my web site now. My beam from seam on the shock towers was 29 I took some pics of it with just the spindles for a drop the suspention is all the way up you can see I could set it down maybe 2 mor inches if i wanted to.
We get mid 20s close to 30 some times in this one if we keep it at 65 or less. It has a freeway flyer trans axle and the engine is a mild built 1641.

SR 135s on front, 195/50 on rear.

n1086792585_30187256_1789.jpg

We get mid 20s close to 30 some times in this one if we keep it at 65 or less. It has a freeway flyer trans axle and the engine is a mild built 1641.

I could live with that. Everything I've read has varied so much its hard to tell. I think moslty due to tune etc.