Any AMS 500 users??????

10secvega

I'm going ext wastegate,and want a good 2 stage boost controller.
I'm not going to be running Co2.
Most of the racing in my area is bracket racing,i want i 2 stage boost controller so i can leave consistantly at the same boost every pass and be semi competetive.

My new combo is a 6765 Jb with a Vigilante 3200 7 disc,3:55 gears and a 26" tall tire.

Shoot Cal Hartline a pm, he knows this stuff very well and helped me out hook up mine on the phone. Can't beat that for customer service.

The AMS 500 will do exactly what you want. The unit is pretty flexible. I have one on my car(w CO2) and its dead on accurate..

I use the AMS-500 on my street car too. It is very accurate and does what I want in a street car without all the bells and whistles of the AMS-1000. If you just want a simple 2 stage boost controller with basic ramping capabilities without multiple stages, etc., then you can't go wrong with the AMS-500.

I'm going ext wastegate,and want a good 2 stage boost controller.
I'm not going to be running Co2.
Most of the racing in my area is bracket racing,i want i 2 stage boost controller so i can leave consistantly at the same boost every pass and be semi competetive.

My new combo is a 6765 Jb with a Vigilante 3200 7 disc,3:55 gears and a 26" tall tire.

I have worked on 2 cars with the AMS 500 and no CO2 then later installing CO2 on both. My experience has been, without CO2, your range of control is narrowed to about 14 psi. Meaning the difference from my launch boost to maximum boost could be 14 psi max. The ramp from launch boost to peak boost was also slow and the controller did not change it much when adjusted.
After adding CO2, both of these issues were corrected.
Since you are just looking for consistency, the issues I mentioned without CO2 may actually help.
If you want maximum performance and adjustability, then I would recommend adding the CO2.

What do you use exactly for the CO2? Is it just a recharge cylinder style?

I have worked on 2 cars with the AMS 500 and no CO2 then later installing CO2 on both. My experience has been, without CO2, your range of control is narrowed to about 14 psi. Meaning the difference from my launch boost to maximum boost could be 14 psi max. The ramp from launch boost to peak boost was also slow and the controller did not change it much when adjusted.
After adding CO2, both of these issues were corrected.
Since you are just looking for consistency, the issues I mentioned without CO2 may actually help.
If you want maximum performance and adjustability, then I would recommend adding the CO2.

Well that won't do,i normally leave at 8psi and run 24psi.Thats 16 psi difference.

Well that won't do,i normally leave at 8psi and run 24psi.Thats 16 psi difference.

Every wastegate/turbo/engine combo will act a little different. It may be ok with your set up and I think it would be worth trying. The worst case would be you leave at 10 or just add the CO2 if your not satisfied.

If you want to leave at 8# you would need to run an 8# spring but that would only get you around 16-18# on the second stage without CO2. As stated earlier, every car, wastegate, turbo setup acts differently - you may could get 20-22#s. If you run these controllers in manifold configuration (w/out CO2) you need to run the biggest spring you can stand in the gate to get the most control. This came from Cal himself who is the authority on AMS controllers in this community. If running CO2 it's just opposite - you can run as light of a spring as you like and make up the difference with CO2.

I am working on a custom setup that would allow me to run in manifold mode on the street and switch over to CO2 control with the flick of a switch. Problem will be that there is no spring combination that would give me the low launch boost with the max boost that I want in manifold mode. I wish these controllers would add a solenoid control to the low side of the gate that could bleed down the reference pressure so that we could run a larger spring and get the best of both worlds w/out CO2.

sweet. i have a ams500 but havent been able to install it yet. let me know how you like yours