Any El Camino hybrids out there?

doordood1

I have an 84 El Camino w/ a 87 GN drive trane. I am looking for anyone else out there that has the same. Post pics? Ideas?

Attachments

• 2008-02-03+071blog.jpg
    2008-02-03+071blog.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 9,565
  • 2008-02-03+076blog.jpg
    2008-02-03+076blog.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 10,816
There was one at Buicks at Bristol years ago that the guy had put the GN front end onto and interior as well. It was a really nice ride, wish I could find the pictures. If I remember correctly he was from around Bristol, Tenn.

Jim

THEY did a very good job on that car, but i've always said it does'nt look right. the front end on the gn is about 6" longer, makes the elky look too long in the front. Looks like your sitting in the middle of the car:eek: to each their own.
that's probably why you dont see many pics of the car directly from the side...

THEY did a very good job on that car, but i've always said it does'nt look right. the front end on the gn is about 6" longer, makes the elky look too long in the front. Looks like your sitting in the middle of the car:eek: to each their own.
that's probably why you dont see many pics of the car directly from the side...

Agreed. I can see that there was a TON of work put into that car and I can appreciate that, but the end result looks strange.

But anyways your Camino (doordood1) looks great!

Grand Camino

If anyone was at the 25th aniversery of the Buick Nationals, they would have seen my buddie's Grand Camino. It was also in GM Hi-tech mag a couple of years ago. It now has a stage two engine. It is hands down, the nicest turbo car I have ever seen, that includes GNXs, hybrids, etc... Owned and by by Al from SW Florida.:cool:

The 4 eyed flat nose looks the best. The factory chin spoiler is a must!

I have been keeping an eye out for El Camino's. I have a drivetrain w/harness waiting for one.

fuel tank

Greetings all. I too have an LC2/ 81 El Camino hybrid working. Can anyone suggest a suitable gas tank? I salvaged the Walbro pump from the GN, but the stock tank has a "hump" that won't allow the pump to reach the bottom of the tank, nor does it have a baffle to prevent fuel sloshing away from the pump. Thanks for any input.

My Malibu don't have a slosh thingy in the tank either. I've had no problems with it since 1997. Of course if you're one of those people that likes to do donuts or keep a empty tank then you'll need one.:D

Greetings all. I too have an LC2/ 81 El Camino hybrid working. Can anyone suggest a suitable gas tank? I salvaged the Walbro pump from the GN, but the stock tank has a "hump" that won't allow the pump to reach the bottom of the tank, nor does it have a baffle to prevent fuel sloshing away from the pump. Thanks for any input.

I believe the last year or so of the El Camino had a fuel injected motor. Just buy that tank and sending unit, and put in your favorite Turbo Regal pump. You should be all set.

Just looked on SpectrPremium.com, and can't get to their e-catalogue, but iNeedparts.com has it listed. You can get the one for the 86 El Camino with the 4.3, since it was fuel injected. You have a choice of 17 or 22 gallon tank.

Auto Parts Lookup - find auto parts for your vehicle
It doesn't list the sending unit. You may have to get creative if it isn't available, but it is better than baffling the tank yourself.

If it is the one that I am thinking of, they used the El Camino Fenders and modded the header panel and hood to match.

Thanks for the input, Wagon. I followed that link you provided. The pictured tank shown has the same "hump" on the top of the tank as the tank I have in hand. This hump is my problem. The top of the Buick tank is flat. When the pump is installed in my tank it is not vertical, and the pickup ends up several inches from the tank floor. Does anyone who has done the actual swap have a suggestion?

You need that tank for the baffle, but you have to use an El Camino fuel injected sending unit too.

i also have had this dream of a lc2 powered el camino :biggrin: i have pretty mutch every thing to make it happen except THE EL CAMINO:confused: nice white elco:biggrin:

Perhaps I am not making myself clear. The baffle (or lack thereof) isn't the issue. The pump has the sending unit already attatched to it. My problem is the 'hump' on the top of the tank where the pump would go in. Can anyone say if the fuel injected tank is flat on the top? The illustration on the link wagon provided shows the tank I already have.

My apologies. I'm afraid I was using the wrong terminology. When I referred to the sending unit, I meant the actual float that sends the electrical signal to the gauge. After some review I now understand it to mean the actual complete unit, minus the pump including the tubing, float, ect. Correct?