Any new bad news with pt51?

ecmo92

I was just wondering if all the bad press has been taken care of. I was thinking about te44 but if the 51's has all the bugs worked out I'd go with that?

Anybody with any personnel experiance with this turbo or comparing it to the te44?

thanks...............

So I take it they got the bugs out?

Any body with any experiance with this turbo?

Mine was rebuild in February, works good with 18psi
daily. Took downpipe off few times and turbine wheel
looks good.
Alex

Suggestion...

This is just a suggestion, BUT with the list of modifications in your signature I would go with a larger turbo. You have plenty of fuel available and with the ported heads and camshaft you need to make use of them.

I don't use anything smaller than a Ta/Te61 with a Garrett .63 exhaust housing on any of the cars I build. And this includes cars with the stock D5 torque converter in them.

Just my opinion!!

Keith

Thanks guys.

Just how much is a 61 series turbo? I take it Craig is the man to talk to!! Does he have a site?

Don't think he has a site. I called once to price some turbos. Definitely is where I will be buying a new turbo. Number is 928-453-7321

pt-51 turbo

I have had this turbo on my car for over a year now. may break tomorrow but ran 7.20's in the eighth @ 96 mph. I bought it directly from precision when joe was there. I started to go with the 44 but he said the 51 would make 60 more horsepower on top end.Have a buddy with a 44, ported heads,small cam. He said after driving my car that it just kept pulling and pulling on top end whereas his 44 did not. the 44 seems to have more bottom end than the 51.

51 vs 44

I changed about a year ago from a 44 to a 51 and I agree with kevinw, the 51 pulls like mad on the top end, but the 44 was much more streetable as it had alot more bottom end. I would trade my 51 for a 44 back in a heartbeat.

No problems yet with my 51, and I'm looking here at my stack on time slips (must be 100 or so).

As someone mentioned above, I'd probably think about a larger turbo too.

-Banning.

Kevin,

When did you get a T63e?;) :D

You failed to mention that this turbo has seen 27psi of boost with no problems. Like you said, it may break today, but until then keep boosting!

:D

Originally posted by Chris Taylor

but until then keep boosting!

:D

exactly ...crank it up and boost on...it'll let you know when its done :D

even if it comes apart its not gonna hurt nothing other than fill your exaust with oil and put a dent in your wallet that will never be refilled ;)