Anybody Know Mile Hi GN??

Rick

Sorry to cry wolf but I thought I'd get more views this way:D

My 87 GN has a bad rearend problem. When I finally got to pull it out of the garage(first time I ever drove it) it was acting strange, kind of wobbly feeling. The best I can describe it is an erratic jolting in the drivetrain. It feels like the rear end is binding up but it is making no noises. I put it on jack stands and put it in gear. I had the wheels and hubs off and noticed a very slight wobble in he axle. It seemed to be really smooth at that point. I took the axle to a local machine shop and the closest he could tell me was 12 thousandth of on the outer casing of the bearing, he referred me elsewhere because they really didn't know what was good or bad on an axle. I called an axle shop today and they said they couldn't accurately check it.
It is a Ford 9" rear end with 31 spline Moser axles. Even if one of the axles was ever so slightly bent, would it cause that noticeable of a problem at such slow speed?? I'm wondering if the axle is the problem but figured it was my first thing to check.
I'm thinking it may be the wheels but it seems like it wouldn't be erratic but more of an every revolution feeling. The wheels are DragLites that have the funky double layer metal where the lug nuts go through with a metal spacer in between. Maybe the lug nuts are a hair too long and not completely tightening the wheel to the drum.
Anyhow, I have both axles ready to have checked but need to know what to look up in the Yellow Pages. Any ideas?? Any other possibilities for these symptoms?

Thanks!!

Rick I have a dial indicator you could borrow. You'd have to actually call or something; divine intervention won't work for this. :D

LOL!! I have no clue how to use one. Do I need to put the axles back in to check!! Hey John, Buddy! Ol Pal, can you help me out:D

all draglites wobble but that wont be the jerking you feel. I've never seen a strait draglite wheel

are you sure the car was completly strait and a tire wont low to make the posi or locker unit do it

I'm not 100% sure. I think I'll throw those axles back on and put my Convo Pro's on to see if that changes anything. I checked the axles like you would a pool cue and they seemed fine. I can't imagine them being the problem at that low of speed.

You need to put the axle back in. Then the indicator has a magnetic base you put on the axle tube with a 2-way adjustable pivoting neck. Position the tip to just touch the face of the axle flange, set the face of the indicator to show 0 where the needle is, then rotate the axle. The needle will move as the flange rotates so you just look for the variance. It's in 1,000ths. Call me if you wanna try it. 888-4436

rear problems

sounds like your experiencing a clutch or locker problem with the rear not an axle problem if its a clutch type rear,the clutches get glazed and cause a chatter.they make an additive for that.if it is a locker it will always do that.just a hunch without seeing it couldnt give ya a too accurate answer,but give it a thought.
nick,

I think first of all we need to know what type of rear differential it has.. I.e. clutch type posi, ratchet type posi, minispool or spool.

If it has a spool or minispool and you were turning at all, it could cause this wobble (walking) effect..

This is info from previous owner:

N case,
31 spline moser axles
1/2 studs
Drum brakes, ford truck
Nodular third member
brand new 3.50 gears and bearings
4 pinion traction lock posi

Nodular 3rd member (3rd member just means "rear axle") is the removable "Pig" that contains the pinion and the ring gear. The nodular iron version has an "N" cast into its forward face.