Anybody own an RV?

GNRick

Retired member
Will go look at a 35 footer tomorrow. The guy bought it new in 1996 (its a 1995 Bounder) for $95k. He is asking $15k. It has 56k miles and tires are 2 years old. It gets 7 mpg. I'm thinking of buying one when I retire in 8 months and travel in it. Maybe answer a "roommate wanted ad" in Fla. and just pay $300/month to live in a house and travel in the RV. Am I crazy? Must be a reason a $95k RV is worth only $15k in 17 years. Maybe pull my GN behind it too.

No but I work on them every day I do paint and body repair usually newer ones from about 200 to 500 thousand $

I think groumoutis has one for sale. It was recently water tested and low miles.:D

Funny you ask! Rick our camper was float tested today at our campgrounds! It is less than 30 days old! It isn't a motor home though. It is a 2013 Sprinter 311BHS. It is also now equipped with a indoor swimming pool. If you are interested you can contact the new owners which is American Family Insurance. We have yet to make our first payment on it! Rick if you want to look at it drive on over and see it for yourself! Oh bring a boat!

Broke, thanks for the free advertisement!

GNRick said:
Will go look at a 35 footer tomorrow. The guy bought it new in 1996 (its a 1995 Bounder) for $95k. He is asking $15k. It has 56k miles and tires are 2 years old. It gets 7 mpg. I'm thinking of buying one when I retire in 8 months and travel in it. Maybe answer a "roommate wanted ad" in Fla. and just pay $300/month to live in a house and travel in the RV. Am I crazy? Must be a reason a $95k RV is worth only $15k in 17 years. Maybe pull my GN behind it too.

Why rent a place for $300/mo? Do you plan to be there much? I think I'd put the excess in storage and rent a slot to put your rv in .
Not crazy. Id do it. Actually I am considering buying a truck and making money while traveling around when I get ready to hang it up.

Hey Derrick- sorry I don't need a swimming pool!:eek: Well I looked at it today but I wasn't impressed. That 7 mpg is killing me. I can't see buying something and paying a fortune on gas. So maybe a pick up truck/fifth wheel is the way to go. A late model truck should get me 15 -20 mpg. Anyway I'll keep looking as I am not in a hurry. The $300/month rent is so I could have a home base near some property I own in Fla. It would give me a place to park the camper when I'm not in the mood to travel, and also a place to store my mower and GN's. This is all still in the planning stages so all ideas would be appreciated from you guys!

Was that 7 mpg gas or diesel?

A late model p/u truck is not going to get you 15-20mpg towing something big that requires a gooseneck/5th wheel. You looking around 7-10 mpg area towing something that big.

And if you want to travel around a lot, either get a diesel pusher or medium duty truck to tow the 5ver. I know guys guys that use a tractor to tow their stuff around because they get the same mileage as a p/u towing.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

My father in law has a 29ft trailer he tows with a suburban that has the 454 with towing gears and he gets 13mpg without the trailer and 7-8mpg with it. You don't get good gas mileage towing 3-4 tons.

David

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

No it stands for Redneck Vacations! The fact that people chose to be trailer park trash on the weekends is awesome! I am one of those people!

Louie L on this board is just about to trade his RV in. It gets close to the mileage your looking for. Hopefully he will post up. It's around 30' with a V10 and tows his enclosed

Fwiw: My RV usually gets around 6 mpg towing or not. If I slow to 65 I can get almost 7

I didn't see where it said that one is a V-10, but you are correct if it is. I found this website about Ford trucks and it appears 6 -8 is the average mpg. http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/754438-my-wallet-vs-31-e-450-v10-motorhomes-mpg.html
So I wonder how small of an RV I would have to go with in order to get at least 10 -12 mpg? I was actually hoping for 12-15 but I guess that is out of the question.:(

Maybe one of those really small RV's will get 12-15 but I bet as soon as you put a trailer behind it to tow your GN it will be single digits. I have an 02 F350 with the 7.3, few mods. It's lifted and on 37's. Around town/hwy avg about 15mpg, might be able to get another 2-3mpg if we really tried.
We pull a 38' toyhauler and mileage towing that will be from 9-12 mpg. Nice thing about a trailer also is that we always have a vehicle to go into town, etc. With an RV you have to tow a driver with you.

BTW, shameless plug.. Powerstroke intercoolers and radiators coming soon from Alradco :D

598484_4194232690604_2008850642_n.jpg

A 1996 Bounder will likely not get 7 MPG if it has a BBF 460. Second this unit likely has 16.5 in wheels all the way around which are grossly undersized on a class A chassis . Cal can attest about the durability and load handling those tiny tires have. He owned Ford Powered RV from the mid 90's which he had to buy tires for it on a regular basis.

I would suggest that you buy something newer with a V10 and 19.5 in wheels and tires. My V10 2001 31 footer Ive has as good as 9 mpg early for several years after I purchased it. Hand calculated. Mine has the Gibson power pack headers and stainless exhaust. Currently the MPG has gone down due to the ethanol content in the fuel. That's the only reason I can attribute to the loss.

The amount of depreciation on a RV has a lot to do with the brand and type. The unit I am currently looking at stickered for 265,000.00 new in 2005. Currently is worth under half of the original price.

Thanks for all of the replies. I co-worker was telling me about a van that comes with a bathroom, kitchen, bed. He says it isn't very big and might get 15 mpg. I had looked at pull behind trailers not long ago and I'm thinking now maybe I should get a pick up truck and small trailer. I'll check ebay and try to find what I'm talking about.