Anyone around SW Chicago have a good body shop to repair rusted T-top sections?

Likely, cheaper and more permanent: Cut that scrap off, and install a hard roof.

X2....We had three GNs go through there so far this year and great job hands down. They even brought back a rust bucket that should have been parted out. My car is going there this winter. Give Gilbert (owner) a call, he also has three GNs. 773-927-7960.

HTH
Prasad

Gilbert is the one I talked to that said it would about $2500 to repair. I don't have that kind of cash to drop on this. I think I may go junk yard hunting to try and find a good t-top I can hack off, then start getting prices.

Gilbert is the one I talked to that said it would about $2500 to repair. I don't have that kind of cash to drop on this. I think I may go junk yard hunting to try and find a good t-top I can hack off, then start getting prices.

I know T tops are cool and looks nice but the issue with them are the rust, leaks and rattle. All the turbo Buick that went through my hands (over 60+ and 25+ were T top cars) I will say I had one with no rust and one didn't leak. Its poor design and the moisture settle under the T-top cover plate and rust starts. Most people I know cut the T top off and went with a hard top. All the cars that went through my hands, I could have had a nice T top car but my car is a hard top for a reason. It can look ok when you have the plate on it but when you remove the plate, it will have rust. I may have few T top roofs; I will check and let you know.

Prasad

I know T tops are cool and looks nice but the issue with them are the rust, leaks and rattle. All the turbo Buick that went through my hands (over 60+ and 25+ were T top cars) I will say I had one with no rust and one didn't leak. Its poor design and the moisture settle under the T-top cover plate and rust starts. Most people I know cut the T top off and went with a hard top. All the cars that went through my hands, I could have had a nice T top car but my car is a hard top for a reason. It can look ok when you have the plate on it but when you remove the plate, it will have rust. I may have few T top roofs; I will check and let you know.

Prasad

Sweet dude, thanks! I may start getting quotes on going to a hardtop and if it's going to cost me the same I very well may go that route. Lord knows it would be easier to find a donor for that.

I met with Gilbert in August and he took a look at my car. He said once he finishes Benny's car he would call. I don't know Benny but I saw his car.
I still have not heard from Gilbert but I hope once he gets some time he can squeeze my car in.

Chris

I met with Gilbert in August and he took a look at my car. He said once he finishes Benny's car he would call. I don't know Benny but I saw his car.
I still have not heard from Gilbert but I hope once he gets some time he can squeeze my car in.

Chris
Gilbert called Benny to pick his car up on Wednesday but Benny is in BG lol. So Gilbert should be contacting you soon.

HTH
Prasad

Prasad

Happen to find any rustless t-top sections?

Sorry Bud, not yet. I need to climb through bunch of stuff to get to it and I didnt get a chance. I will do it this Saturday for sure!

Rafs,
Gilbert is a very close friend/ brother to me. I met him whem I worked with back in the hood when I was 14. I got him into the GNs! He restored my Ttop GN first, and then rest of the GN guys came to get work done on theirs. He does quality work, and I stand behind him...., honestly you need to take the car to him to see what type of work is needed, and how long the labor will be. Also, you can always work something out with him, maybe payments or something. I can talk with him if need be....thats why there's a waiting list on getting the GNs in his shop to get work done on them!
He was probably busy, and told you a qoute while he was running around.
Prasad can attest, he brought some GNs back from the dead.

LMK.

Rafs,
Gilbert is a very close friend/ brother to me. I met him whem I worked with back in the hood when I was 14. I got him into the GNs! He restored my Ttop GN first, and then rest of the GN guys came to get work done on theirs. He does quality work, and I stand behind him...., honestly you need to take the car to him to see what type of work is needed, and how long the labor will be. Also, you can always work something out with him, maybe payments or something. I can talk with him if need be....thats why there's a waiting list on getting the GNs in his shop to get work done on them!
He was probably busy, and told you a qoute while he was running around.
Prasad can attest, he brought some GNs back from the dead.

LMK.
I'm not saying he's not worth it, but when he quotes over twice as much as the other two guys I don't see the need to drive twice as far to pay twice as much. My two other guys are closer and recommended by many. If he wants to do it for 1k, with the metal that needs to be replaced provided to him let me know and I'll be all over it. - Thanks - Jason

First thing to do is get the windshield out and blast the corners. Make sure thats not rotted as well. pull plastic inner kick panels and make sure cowl is not rotted.The water runs down inside pillars and inside cowl if rusted. I had t-top car I parted and the body where the hinges bolt on was rusted pretty bad. also pull rear panels or just the rear seat and section of carpet.Make sure inner rockers are ok How is the rest of the car? Im just saying because I ran into a shit storm when I pulled my car apart. You can get a shell for less that 2500 and rust free. alot of work but just a thought. Gbody has shells and ttaowner had a real clean one. Probably gone but it looked real nice. good luck

First thing to do is get the windshield out and blast the corners. Make sure thats not rotted as well. pull plastic inner kick panels and make sure cowl is not rotted.The water runs down inside pillars and inside cowl if rusted. I had t-top car I parted and the body where the hinges bolt on was rusted pretty bad. also pull rear panels or just the rear seat and section of carpet.Make sure inner rockers are ok How is the rest of the car? Im just saying because I ran into a shit storm when I pulled my car apart. You can get a shell for less that 2500 and rust free. alot of work but just a thought. Gbody has shells and ttaowner had a real clean one. Probably gone but it looked real nice. good luck

The rest of the spots I checked looked ok. They could have been repairs too, but if so they did a better job elsewhere. I don't see a need for a new shell.

Jason, again, take to him and let him see the issues you have. Then he can give you an accurate quote. Your from Lyons, right? His shop is off I55, exit Pulaski, not that far from you. If the other guys are asking $1,000 for the job, then jump on it. But make sure that they don't start saying "well something else came up, and now it's gonna cost you more".

Either way, good luck with the GN. I also have a Ttop car, it had probably worst issues in the Ttop area than yours. Maybe if you want I can take a look at it sometime and give you my .02cents. I live by Midway.

Didn't I buy a set of GN rims from you awhile back??

William.