Anyone ever dump a bottle of rubbing alcohol into the tank?

dthrock

Anyone ever dump a bottle of rubbing alcohol into the gas tank?

I saw on another forum where someone was doing this. Doesnt sound like a good idea to me, but what would be the drawbacks?

Dave

To get the full benefit of it make sure you fill your tank up with gas then put the alcohol in. It will wake your car up if there is alot of water in your fuel.It will take all te water out of your fuel .I do it every fill up big seat of the pants difference.Just my opinion.

Most blends of "Heat" (winter fuel de-icer) are made out of Isopropyl, I believe. You do not get the same effect as injecting it, if that is your intent.

That's what I was assuming too. ;)

I thought he wanted to know about the rubbing alky. being okay for use in the SMC kit.

Originally posted by blackbuick87
He has SMC so I am assuming he means the alky tank, not gas tank:)

No I mean the gas tank. This was on another board as I mentionned. The guy was dumping it into his tank as an octane boost.

Dave

Its not good to use it as octane booster. Xylene or race gas would work much better. That much alcohol will kill your pump/injectors/any rubber it finds

a previous post said that will eat away at the seals of your tank.....anybody know if thats true?

We used to do that back in the 70's if you suspected having water in the gas tank. It basically "dries" up the water. Kinda like if you drink too much booze, it "dries" up your brain. :D