anyone ever hear of this "Dealer Option"

arista5

Sold, and Replaced
Staff member
Hey all, i was in a car show this past weekend and had someone come up to me claiming they used to sell these back in the 86/7 years....

I was asked which rear the car had, i stated 3:42's same as all the turbo cars..... I was informed this is WRONG, they had the option of 3:42's and also the 3:73, 4:11's and so on..... I have HONESTLY never heard of that, and in all my dealer books, brochures, and dealer prep papers, manuals, original order guides, magazines..... and so on, i am yet to EVER hear of this, and she wasnt taking my word and the stated info from the paper work as it wasnt an option.

can anyone Validate me or the rumor'd statement from this woman?

Oh yeah, she also said they only built these cars once a week, well i informed her mine was built on a monday (showed GM papers to prove it) and said they would have had to make close to make almost 400 of these a day if they only made them once a week????

and the said there was ALOT more T's than GN's b/c the demand wasnt good enough on the GN's

(i am guessing she was trying to know more than she did to impress her husband/kids that were with her, but am i the only one who never heard of this stuff?)

WOW...she's way off on ALL accounts.
tell her to put down the crackage and see the light of TRUTH and not the darkness of rumor

According to a document that I have from GM (Manufacturers Motor Vehicle Specifications - Passenger Car 1987):

The standard 3.8L and 5.0L Regal had the option of 2.41, 3.08 and 3.23;
The 3.8L SFI Turbo only option was a 3.42;

absolutly Mike. She is dead wrong .. 3.42 was the only rear. Period.
They were made on every day of the week.
Period.
way more GN's made and were wildly more popular then T's. i remember it. I was 16 at the time and had my license.
Period.

I would have said..
"Hey you have nice earings."
LOL

that makes about as much sense as she was saying..

Was she blond by any chance. :eek:

What a dip.

Just yesterday at the gas station I had the old "wow what year is that Monte Carlo" :rolleyes:

I checked the gears in my car a while back, and I think they are 2.56. I cant quite remember for sure. Just my .02.

3.42 was the ONLY rear gear for ALL Regal Turbos from 1984 til the end.

The 3.73 gear was standard in the Hurst/Olds and 442 from 83-87 in the same 8.5" 10 bolt.

Buick had to limit production of the GN because they were selling so many of them as opposed to the T-R's. That's also the reason why the WE4 came about.

Everybody wanted the GN in 86/87.:cool:

we are talking turbo 3.8 here.. Not a 5.0 Olds motor

Originally posted by scojack_2001
I checked the gears in my car a while back, and I think they are 2.56. I cant quite remember for sure. Just my .02.

nope not in the least, i mean would i eh', but no i wouldnt brag or tell my friends about it ;)

Originally posted by equalizer442
nuff said

Uh oh, you might wanna slow down there. CDNGN might come over here and deliver a serious WHOOPIN' to you. Only lady I know with (previously) 3 TR's...including a Stage.

Originally posted by WakkoSS
Uh oh, you might wanna slow down there. CDNGN might come over here and deliver a serious WHOOPIN' to you. Only lady I know with (previously) 3 TR's...including a Stage.
haha or Carla, the other half of c&cgn. or that other girl that frequents our boards...mandersgtp :D

Worked for a Buick dealer from 85-87, and still have some old parts books to prove this: The turbo cars had the 8.5" rear gear with a 3.42 ratio-period! Only option was standard or posi-trac.

Not so fast guys. The woman is right on. They only made GNs one day a week. The rest of the week they made pink Turbo Ts...

:D

CDNGN might come over here and deliver a serious WHOOPIN' to you. Only lady I know with (previously) 3 TR's...including a Stage.
:eek: i stand corrected, wonder if she wants to adopt a son:D

Originally posted by arista5
nope not in the least, i mean would i eh', but no i wouldnt brag or tell my friends about it ;)

You would "eh" anything Mike! :D