Anyone here build any Roadkill style drag cars?

JustABuick

I caught the Roadkill bug, and I'm thinking about jumping ship from my turbo Buick. I'm thinking something older that is cosmetically rough, but pretty solid, like: http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/5928610730.html that I could put a cage in or a newer (70s-80s) "undesirable" Buick. I'm sure I'd have some money dumped into the car after a cage, trans, rear, engine, and suspension, but it might be a fun project. Like a really tuned down version of that 1968 Chevelle those Aussies bought and ran in dragweek.

Anyone here done any build like this before?

I have had that urge for years. Take that Malibu for instance the only funds I would invest in the exterior would be a clear coat to save all beautiful patina, save the bank for the drivetrain.

Exactly. it would be nice to not have to freakout over scratches and rock chips. It would be almost impossible to settle on a power plant, though.

Exactly. It would be nice to not have to freak out over scratches and rock chips. It would be almost impossible to settle on a power plant, though.

Man you got that right about choosing the engine and tranny, the hard part. I like watching the shows that take a classic '60s or '70s muscle car and drop a LS into them but at the same time some nostalgia is lost, just my opinion of course. My first choice of engine would be a Chevy 350 and a TH400 trans. I would probably have forged internals installed (preparing for boost and NOS) and be done.

Yeah, and now so many people run LS engines. I wouldn't need it to run bottom 8's, either, I'd be happy if I could get low 10's out of it. Yep, I'd probably run a small block with forged internals and some sort of power adder. I wonder if it's any harder to cage 4 door cars than it is 2 doors?

Yeah, and now so many people run LS engines. I wouldn't need it to run bottom 8's, either, I'd be happy if I could get low 10's out of it. Yep, I'd probably run a small block with forged internals and some sort of power adder. I wonder if it's any harder to cage 4 door cars than it is 2 doors?
I'm not worried about time slips but 10's would great if I ever hit the track. I would name the car Gomer, surprise, surprise, surprise with a FatHead on the hood and both front doors :D.

Not sure about the cage but for an experienced cage builder it should not be an issue.

Last edited:
So you asked about a 4-door cage which probably means you are leaning that way and if so what make and model are you considering? I have a thing for 4-doors and for wagons, hell deciding which car is harder than the powertrain thing.

The main reasons I'm leaning that way is that it would be a little cheaper and more unsuspecting. I also like the wagons, too. I have seen some 4 door late 70's LeSabres in pretty good shape, and even some 60s-70s Malibu's and Novas that are close to being reasonably priced. Almost any old wagon is going to be cool in my book. The extra weight of a wagon would mean I'd really have to step my game up in the power department.

I've been a roadkill fan for years. It really made me realize that I had it good before I restored my GN. I've always put functionality before big dollar items and looks. Back then I always thought I was missing out on something when I saw really nice show cars. Now that I have one, I realize that I have a ton more fun with a beater / sleeper. Hopefully I can start a project on one in a couple years with my son.

This weekend we are going to the Roadkill Ziptie drags in Tucson. Should be fun!

I've been a roadkill fan for years. It really made me realize that I had it good before I restored my GN. I've always put functionality before big dollar items and looks. Back then I always thought I was missing out on something when I saw really nice show cars. Now that I have one, I realize that I have a ton more fun with a beater / sleeper. Hopefully I can start a project on one in a couple years with my son.

This weekend we are going to the Roadkill Ziptie drags in Tucson. Should be fun!

Yeah, I always coveted the show cars, too. Now that I am finally able to afford and build these things, I want something with simplicity and that I don't have to worry about cosmetically. I love my Regal, but it sucks having to pull the engine to do anything to it due to the AC box. It's a nice car, and deserves to be well maintained, and I'd never get rid of the AC box or put a V8 in it. It's cool having a blank slate and being able to create whatever you want, too.

That's awesome! wish it was closer, I'd go. Post up some pictures from it!

The main reasons I'm leaning that way is that it would be a little cheaper and more unsuspecting. I also like the wagons, too. I have seen some 4 door late 70's LeSabres in pretty good shape, and even some 60s-70s Malibu's and Novas that are close to being reasonably priced. Almost any old wagon is going to be cool in my book. The extra weight of a wagon would mean I'd really have to step my game up in the power department.

This would be my powerplant choice.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...rint-engines&gclid=CNu--MjCuNECFdpKDQodwicD8w
Probably best bang for the buck,( the sound of that cammed up, high compression, HUGE big block is :eek: ) comes complete and dyno'd ready to bolt in,just need a trans and rear to hold the beast.

Last edited:

I might see you down there, Mike.

This would be my powerplant choice.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...rint-engines&gclid=CNu--MjCuNECFdpKDQodwicD8w
Probably best bang for the buck,( the sound of that cammed up, high compression, HUGE big block is :eek: ) comes complete and dyno'd ready to bolt in,just need a trans and rear to hold the beast.

That would definitely get it done. That is a beast. Needs to be in wagon!

I'm sorry but… what's a "roadkill" car or whatever?? I never heard of that...o_O

Claude.

Here's the Aussie car that is kind of "roadkill" that I saw at Dragweek this year.

Dragweek 2015: 396 4 speed car they supposedly bought in Kansas for $1,500
Aussie Chevell 2015.jpg

Dragweek 2016:
Aussie Chevelle 2016.jpg

I might see you down there, Mike.

Cool!! Unfortunately there is rain in the forecast, so that means the GN stays at home. I don't trust the T Tops to keep the rain out. Plan B is to take the truck and trailer so we can camp there, race the truck and kick some ass (13 second F150 Ecoboost with "Hockey Mom" sticker on it), and also bring my son's ratty riding mower and my Trail 70 to cruise the pits. Hell, I'll race the Trail 70 too lol.