Anyone Like To Cook?

Normally about an hour to an hour and a half or so. Pretty much matches the time to get a 1.25-1.5" thick ribeye to medium. Depends on how thick the onion chunks are, and what temp the bbq or smoker is running. On the Weber bbq, which runs hotter than my smoker, about 45 min most of the time. Also, don't use thick cut bacon. Takes longer and isn't as pliable for wrapping. Tears easier. Normal Oscar Meyer bacon works good, or even a good store brand, just not Morrel brand. That bacon isn't very good. Meijer brand even works better.

These do not work out well on a gas grill. Normally causes a nice fire, over-done bacon and under-cooked onion inside.

As we all know every smoker/pit cooks differently so experimenting is key as well as half the fun. I am going to try these next weekend. Have you thought about using foil? One could wrap initially and then crisp the bacon over direct heat/smoke and then encapsulate that bacon flavor profile directly into the onion by wrapping them in foil after semi-crisping/cooking the bacon. May I assume the onions are slightly pealed?

Yep, I cook, but not as much as I used to. I make my own pancake syrup and everyone that's had it wants more. Not a lot to it so try this one night then use it in the morning for breakfast. Main ingredients are: White sugar, Brown sugar, corn syrup (brown or white), Vanilla, and some butter for flavor. All need to be added to the water in a sauce pan one at a time. I start with the water simmering and add a table spoon or 2 of white sugar, then add 2 of brown sugar. Once everything's dissolved then I add the corn syrup (quantity up to you) and keep stirring until you get the mix to just start balling off the spoon. Add a table spoon of vanilla and stir it in then add a table spoon or 2 of the butter. This will still seem thin but as it cools it will thicken. If you want to keep it fairly thin you can add more corn syrup to keep it from being "sticky".

I have a few other recipes over on T6P and we have a "cook book" section over there if you want some good ideas.

As we all know every smoker/pit cooks differently so experimenting is key as well as half the fun. I am going to try these next weekend. Have you thought about using foil? One could wrap initially and then crisp the bacon over direct heat/smoke and then encapsulate that bacon flavor profile directly into the onion by wrapping them in foil after semi-crisping/cooking the bacon. May I assume the onions are slightly pealed?

I have thought about it, but normally I make them with a big chunk of meat, and they normally end up done about the same time.

If you mean use foil if using the gasser... After trying them twice on the gas grill, I just 86'd that idea. Bacon in large amounts on the gas grill always seems to not have the desired product in the end.

Yes, peel the onion, basically do the same as if you were making kebobs, but leave them in larger chunks, 2-3 thick, maybe 3/4" to 1" or so wide, then wrap em.

I wouldn't call what I do cooking more grillin'.

I also like to make pizza. We make the dough for the crust up in the bread maker. I have a nifty recipe for a wheat dough that we've worked on to make it taste good.
I'll see if I cam come up with pix. We like some veggie pizza and of course I like meat on mine. Way cheaper than buying it ready made. But we save that for the colder months so the oven can heat the kitchen in the summer we rarely do things involving the oven as it is already hot here.

I have thought about it, but normally I make them with a big chunk of meat, and they normally end up done about the same time.

If you mean use foil if using the gasser... After trying them twice on the gas grill, I just 86'd that idea. Bacon in large amounts on the gas grill always seems to not have the desired product in the end.

Yes, peel the onion, basically do the same as if you were making kebobs, but leave them in larger chunks, 2-3 thick, maybe 3/4" to 1" or so wide, then wrap em.

I am going to try them this weekend along with a few ribeye steaks. My mom is battling the big C and could use a good steak and loaded 'tater and she loves anything wrapped in bacon. ;)

I wouldn't call what I do cooking more grillin'.

Pork chops and chicken fangers?

PS, I can remember as if it was yesterday slaughtering hogs and fresh pork chops or asking my grandmother "Granny will you fry chicken for dinner (4pm)?" Her reply was "well you know were the chickens are and you should know how to wring a neck by now, boy!" :D

IMG_20160621_195525000_HDR.jpg
Maximizing my grill space tonight

Last edited:
Staight up do all the Cooking in my house love it .i have 2 boys and wife she knows how to cook we are puertoricans and in my familiy like most .the kitchen is always in use. and those damed cooking shows dont help neather. All i want to do is experiment. I also do all the shopping so.gotta rotatate those perishables make sure nothing goes to waist.

Attachments

• 20160905_181003.jpg
    20160905_181003.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 117
I'm still trying to find the recipe for that sandwich called "BLT." Been looking everywhere. I'll find it someday.

I thought I had it yesterday with a Basic Little Tomato, but was wrong.

Jeez, all these "cooking" pictures made me ravenous!!!!!

Bruce '87 Grand National

I'm still trying to find the recipe for that sandwich called "BLT." Been looking everywhere. I'll find it someday.

I thought I had it yesterday with a Basic Little Tomato, but was wrong.

Jeez, all these "cooking" pictures made me ravenous!!!!!

So you made a bacon, lettuce and tomato sammy, right? :D

Have to stop watching this thread... I've gained about 10 lbs. after looking at the pics.

Have to stop watching this thread... I've gained about 10 lbs. after looking at the pics.
Studies have shown that just looking/following along actually speeds up your metabolism regarding foody threads!

Life is short.

Thought I'd bring this post back.

The Bone Broth experiment was a complete success! I have made several batches since the first. Each batch a bit different from the last.

Even made a batch for my dog. She is a German Shepherd that is approaching 14 years old & having problems with her hips. Made a batch of Broth from beef knuckle bones, salmon carcasses, 1/2 cup of natural apple cider vinegar & filtered water. I baked the knuckle bones first & then soaked them for an hour in the apple cider vinegar/water mix to help release the nutrients. I then added the salmon, more water & brought it to a slow boil. I let it simmer for a bit more than 36 hours. The bones begin to crumble after 24 hours. I strained the batch, placed it into canning jars & then froze them. I feed my dog twice a day. She now receives a 1/2 cup of the warmed broth with each feeding. The glucosamine, chondroitin & fish oil from the beef & salmon have really helped improve her mobility & digestion. Plus she likes it!

Today I started a new batch of Broth for people. I'm using beef marrow bones, knuckle bones, a chicken carcass, plus our turkey carcass from Thanksgiving. To this I've added tomato, potato, celery, carrots, red onion, garlic, kale, parsley, sage, rosemary, jalapeño, sea salt, lemon squeezins, plus a long aloe vera spear. Probably forgetting an ingredient or two... Basically throw the refrigerator into the pot. Smells real good right now!

Here's a pic.

DSCN0302.jpg