Anyone try bolt in rear coil overs for Drag racing?

Just wondered if anyone has tried this setup for drag racing. I currently have cargo springs, airbags, competition engineering shocks. (HR Bar but that will stay)

Wonder if there's anything to gain or loose with this setup. Looks like the angle maybe better for power transfer.

Thanks Brandon.

Get rid of your air bags, replace the cargo coils with stock springs, and be sure your pinion angle is set properly and use a set of drag shocks at $90 or so, you will have enough good parts except for tires and wheels.

Of course you need enough power to get off the line with good traction.

Our track was so good yesterday I was able to pull a 1.39 60' with a similar set-up as described, and did not have it in the "kill" mode as it has done better! :)

But to answer your question, coil overs will kill traction, or at least not help, for a stock suspension drag racing GN.

Just wondered if anyone has tried this setup for drag racing. I currently have cargo springs, airbags, competition engineering shocks. (HR Bar but that will stay)

Wonder if there's anything to gain or loose with this setup. Looks like the angle maybe better for power transfer.

Thanks Brandon.

Do you have a link to a kit your thinking of?

A true coil-over spring and shock will give you a wide range of adjustment. Some of these stock location coil over kits are not for drag racing. Like Nick said. A stock spring or just a coil over spring in the stock location along with a good stock location double adjustable shock will work well.

http://www.spohn.net/shop/1978-1987...-1987-GM-G-Body-Regal-Malibu-Monte-Carlo.html

This is the kit I was thinking of using. I value both of your opinions. I will try the stock springs and see how I make out next season.

I posted this same topic in the suspension and brake section as well not being sure where I should put it and I got the exact opposite response.

One of the 9 second cars in the near area is planing on running something similar but I believe he said he would be using afco's. I will see how he makes out with them.

Thanks Brandon.

I have not seen that kit yet. I would not be afraid to try it at all. In the pics he's using a 14" spring which works great on these cars. The double adjustable shock is great. Looks really nice.

http://www.spohn.net/shop/1978-1987...-1987-GM-G-Body-Regal-Malibu-Monte-Carlo.html

This is the kit I was thinking of using. I value both of your opinions. I will try the stock springs and see how I make out next season.

I posted this same topic in the suspension and brake section as well not being sure where I should put it and I got the exact opposite response.

One of the 9 second cars in the near area is planing on running something similar but I believe he said he would be using afco's. I will see how he makes out with them.

Thanks Brandon.

I got those a couple months ago, as my oem springs started to sag too much and my bag busted. I have not tracked my car so i dont know but its a great street ride. And option to raise and lower.

I know a lot of guys are interested in this info so i am going to copy and paste Mike's pm to me @ TRZ Motorsports from another board regarding bolt in coil overs. This is the guy that is considered among many to have the most experience in getting G-body cars to hook. Dusty also told me to get in contact with him as well. Thanks again Dusty.

Below is my pm to Mike @ TRZ

Hi Mike,
I talked to Eric @ Afco about my Buick GN because I want to get a coil over setup in my car, he told me to get DA Afco 3840F/BNC shocks and coil-over hardware kit 921-20135D.

To give you a quick run down on my GN, It weighs 3650 in race trim with me in it. I have G-body tubular upper control arms, stock lowers with 90/10 Lakewood drag shocks up front. In the back, I am still using the stock 10bolt rear end with upgraded internals. I have a Wolfe bar on the car with upper adjustables, Hotchkis lowers, LPW diff cover with axles brace kit and 50/50 Lakewood shocks. The car makes good power but I couldn't sixty foot the car last year, hence the suspension make over. It ran 9.40@154mph with a 1.67 sixty foot.

With that being said, I bought the
DA Afco 3840F/BNC shocks and coil-over hardware kit 921-20135D and Eric told me to get in contact with you about a good spring for this and also your advice on a rear DA afco BNC coil over for the rear. What do you recommend for a street car that goes to the track twice a year? I hear that a bolt in coil overs is not a good thing for a drag race application. I don't run any classes so I am not locked into that. I would be open to a relocation kit if the stock location DA Afco coil overs is not ideal. Please let me know what you think.
-----------------------------------------------
His RESPONSE TO ME!!

Mike

The shocks you got are great for your application. We don't use the coil over hardware you got since it requires you use an 8" spring. We sell an upper spring locator that allows the use of a lighter weight and longer 10" spring. I'm not sure what weight you'd need for that. I would guess around 450-475.
A bolt in rear coil over works great in drag and street applications. The spring rating changes a bit. I have a lower mount you would need to mount the shocks to the housing so the springs will clear. Give us a call and we can discuss this a little better.

Mike

www.trzmotorsports.com
ph. 407-933-7385 fax 407-933-7589

Dealers for: Strange, QA-1, AFCO, Santhuff, JRI Shocks, Racecraft Inc., Spaghetti Menders...
Like our page on Facebook for Product Updates, New Releases and Announcements!