Apologies and a cold start problem

trbojo

'Stang Stinger
So I was chasing fueling issues for about 6 months and I apologize to Eric Marshal and Julio at alky if our conversations got a bit heated and argumentative at times. I thank you both, and also John Spina for all your help. I had a high injector duty cycle issue. I'm still really not sure what exactly the fix was. I found a low voltage condition at the alky pump under load. Went through the entire electrical system, and one day while checking the alky system, the battery took a shit. I ended up replacing the battery , positive battery cable (repair) and checked and cleaned all positive feeds: fuse links at starter, good old C 100, and ignition switch connector. The only real "smoking gun" would be the battery. I can only surmise that, with the battery being weak, the alternator (also replaced) was not able to keep up with electrical demand under load because it was constantly trying to charge the battery. I have one last issue. On cold start, now that the temperature has dropped, the car starts and stalls: I have to keep my foot on the gas pedal and feather it for 30 sec- a minute before it clears up. During the process the car surges madly, backfires at times and loads my garage with black smoke (excessively rich). Coolant temp is approximately ambient when I check, and I've even tried replacing the sensor. If I unplug the sensor while its doing this, it clears up, and loads back up again if I plug it back in. If I unplug it before I start it, its also fine. Any ideas? It's been a long road finally getting this thing to run right, and I'd really like to get it 100% The car is garage kept and this seems to start when ambient drops below 60-50*

Just had another thought. An intermittent backfire through the intake, while snapping the throttle from idle to wot is GONE. I guess I can reiterate all the threads and comments stressing the importance of making sure ALL of your power and grounds are good!!