Apr head bolt torque?

1 RARE T

I have searched around and can't seem to find the number.

I think it's 80-85 ft/lbs.

Someone please clarify for me.

you know something i dont get is ARP specifies 65 with thread sealer and 80 with oil. now thread sealer is going to cause friction which in turn will give earlier torque measurements and oil will keep friction off and give a longer torque reading. now the thing i dont understand is some people are saying 85 if you use straight oil. you will give your bearings an anifreeze bath. RIGHT OR WRONG???? these bolts need thread sealer.

lpaulabbott said:
you know something i dont get is ARP specifies 65 with thread sealer and 80 with oil. now thread sealer is going to cause friction which in turn will give earlier torque measurements and oil will keep friction off and give a longer torque reading. now the thing i dont understand is some people are saying 85 if you use straight oil. you will give your bearings an anifreeze bath. RIGHT OR WRONG???? these bolts need thread sealer.
That's 65lbs/ft with THEIR(ARP) thread sealer or assembly lube, 85lbs/ft with 30wt oil. You're correct- you do still need a thread sealant. I think some put thread sealant and oil on the bolts(oil on the first few threads, then sealant or the other way around). Lube is also needed under the head of the bolt. The ARP lubes are "attracted" to the heat and pressure, and lube better. Most lubes are squeezed away from the friction area(so the story goes), and it takes more torque to get the same stretch.

Now we have a problem.

I used the Apr thread sealer and moly-lube on the washers. Torqued them to 85.

Am I going to have to loosen them? :confused:

1 rare t said:
............... I used the Apr thread sealer and moly-lube on the washers. Torqued them to 85. Am I going to have to loosen them? :confused:
You most likely have stretched the bolts passed the plastic deformation stage. In essense, they are "damaged. I would not loosen them at this point and roll the dice.

1 rare t said:
Now we have a problem.

I used the Apr thread sealer and moly-lube on the washers. Torqued them to 85.

Am I going to have to loosen them? :confused:
If it eases your mind: you might buy another set and do it over(or call APR and ask their opinion). Not all that expensive. How far along are you with the assembly?

You most likely have stretched the bolts passed the plastic deformation stage. In essense, they are "damaged. I would not loosen them at this point and roll the dice.
No, that's incorrect. The stock bolts which are "torque to yield" will go "past the plastic deformation stage". Well, technically, they go INTO plastic, and past elastic. But the ARP bolts have a different stress/strain curve. If they don't fail when you torque 'em, they won't fail afterward, and they were NOT damaged. No need to loosen them, or to replace them.

Ormand said:
No, that's incorrect. The stock bolts which are "torque to yield" will go "past the plastic deformation stage". Well, technically, they go INTO plastic, and past elastic. But the ARP bolts have a different stress/strain curve. If they don't fail when you torque 'em, they won't fail afterward, and they were NOT damaged. No need to loosen them, or to replace them.
Learn something new every day! Thanks!

Ormand said:
Kinda what I thought(and why I buy ARP in the first place). That's why I suggested calling them(didn't know for certain) ;) .

M/T Drag Radials

steve davis said:
85,been their done that.75 ant enough.

Steve Davis I sent you a private message, it is about your M/T Drag Radials.
Please write write back to me, thanks.

Marco.