AR Trim Sizing?

Revolution

Trying to figure out if my exhaust side is holding me back.

Engine 123Cubic Inch
Car 1997 Talon
Turbo ITS GT72 .70Ar P Trim
Wieght of car 3300Lbs
1/4 Mph 142
Boost 30 Psi ( No Nitrous)

Looking to run 40+ Psi this year do you think a bigger AR, and or Trim is needed on the hot side?

The trim is limiting you more than anything at this point. If you want to use nitrous id go up 1 size in a/r.

I don't want to run nitrous but I well if I need it to spool but this combo with my current tune up is spooling great. I was thinking of either going up a trim size or going to a .84 Ar split housing and up a trim size. I just don't want to go to much. Also what is the Hp limit of a T72 Compressor wheel in real life experiences? Thanks Ron

I don't want to run nitrous but I well if I need it to spool but this combo with my current tune up is spooling great. I was thinking of either going up a trim size or going to a .84 Ar split housing and up a trim size. I just don't want to go to much. Also what is the Hp limit of a T72 Compressor wheel in real life experiences? Thanks Ron

Id think you would break the 150 mark if you went up in just trim and spooled with nitrous with 35-40psi. The T72 with a GTQ should do 850hp id think without any n2o. I dont have any experience with a GTQ though. It went 559hp to the wheels on an iron headed stock ecm'd LC2 of mine though. It had plenty to go if i could have kept the gate closed. Even had the factory MAFS with a screen on it too. Looks like you have taken the p trim to 750+hp on your 142mph run.

Id think you would break the 150 mark if you went up in just trim and spooled with nitrous with 35-40psi. The T72 with a GTQ should do 850hp id think without any n2o. I dont have any experience with a GTQ though. It went 559hp to the wheels on an iron headed stock ecm'd LC2 of mine though. It had plenty to go if i could have kept the gate closed. Even had the factory MAFS with a screen on it too. Looks like you have taken the p trim to 750+hp on your 142mph run.

Thanks for the info the exhuast side of the turbo has alot less info floating around then the compressor side. I'm 99% confident atleast a bigger trim is going to help me out I just don't want to go way to much or not enough.

I really find it hard to believe that a turbo of that size would hold back on your size engine. Which header/manifold are you running? You say it spools quick, what RPM does it spool at? That turbo should be good for around 900 hp. But with the MPH you are getting I think you may be already pushing it to the limits. At the most another 50 to 75 hp may be made, but that depends on many things also. Have you ever ran a backpressure test to see how much back pressure you have in the exhaust when making a pass.

I had thought that the .81 A/R is what that turbo came with, but I guess it could be ordered with the .70 A/R. If it does have the .70, then going to the .81 could free up some more power. Header & wastegate design could also gain more. I dont know what compression your engine is, but if it is below 9 to 1 you might even bumb the CR up 1/2 a piont to make more out of what is there already. Which intercooler you running?

Is your car a all wheel drive? If so this could indicate that you may already have the turbo at its max. It takes more power to drive the AWD and that may have my figures off on what HP I think you are making. If its a front wheel drive then you will be making less HP than I figure.

Anyway, a little more detail on the combo could help. A little maximizing here and there may bring more out of it. Or you may be at the piont that stepping up the turbo size will be needed.

Jess

Yes the car is AWD and I run think Heavyweight shock proff gear oil in the trans and dif's front and back, and the exhaust is a .70 AR divided housing with a P trim wheel. I'm running 9:1 compression, HKS exhaust manifold which is high flowing. I was told that a 72 is only good to around 750-800Hp? I'm running a custom made front mount inter-cooler