Are T-tops bad...

Hey charles, have you guys used winaldl on your ecm cars yet? I was thinking about downloading it and fkin with it. THat is, if I can find an old serial port cable:eek:;)

I had T-Tops in my original GN...I loved them- never had much problem with them leaking and most of it's life (before I was married) it was in the garage and wasn't driven in the rain- only occasionally- then my wife started driving it to work... she had fun with it. :cool:

^^^^ That's the one I was talking about. Thanks DD. I couldn't find the link for some reason.

When it comes time for you to add maplights, you can either do like everyone else does and add the F-body/S10 rearview mirror with them built in, or you can try something different like this.

AH HA.... THATS what I was looking for... what did you make those out of??

when it comes down to a hatch roof Ive got some crazy ideas. Im curently working on a bit of a project to stiffen up the center rail section of our hatch roofs using underhood frame braces from a 67 cadillac tig welded at the center, and welded to the windshield frame, and the rear part of the roof. it will be a bit harder now because Im not in autobody anymore and wont have any access to the shop or tools so Im kinda on my own here. I believe it will stiffen it up a bit through the center. after awhile the center section starts to warp and bend a bit (mostly in an arch) and will weaken causing cracks and then you get your rust problems. This method would hopefully eliminate that, but it would involve turning your car into a targa top for awhile:redface:

So heres my Little Idea. (St1nger gave me some insparation for this little future escapade as well) I would basically welds some bracing throught the center section of the t-top rail, to the rear of the top frame. that bracing would be welded to a center brace running across the car at the rear of the frame. From there, bracing could be welded down behind the doors, but in a case of an accident or severe frame flex, the bars could either bend or push thier way through the floor which is not good. A better alternative could be to weld them to the rear of the passenger compartment.

More bracing could be welded across the windshield section of the t-top frame. All of this should be able to be covered by the factory trim.

(i actually had someone tell me to just put an old shock absorber and strut across the middle of the passenger compartment, talk about dangerous)

the first pic is a VERY ROUGH idea of what it would look like, no im not a paint artist so dont poke fun its just an idea...

any feedback...??

Attachments

• t-top project.png
    t-top project.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 97
  • stp60926.jpg
    stp60926.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 90