are the caps in the rear differentials interchangeable?

driven87

had a rear sitting for a long time that i was gonna rebuild. where i had the caps for the center section there was a leaking battery that i did not know about. the battery acid must has sat on the caps for a long time and seized the bolts to them and also ate away some of the metal. i now need 2 new caps to throw on to get this rear together. will i have any problems getting some caps from another 8.5" rear and using them in this rebuild? thanks for any advice guys

I don't think you can do that without having them remachined, similar to main caps being indexed.

Nope

had a rear sitting for a long time that i was gonna rebuild. where i had the caps for the center section there was a leaking battery that i did not know about. the battery acid must has sat on the caps for a long time and seized the bolts to them and also ate away some of the metal. i now need 2 new caps to throw on to get this rear together. will i have any problems getting some caps from another 8.5" rear and using them in this rebuild? thanks for any advice guys

They are not. I spent a whole day trying to set the backlash then swaped them and was done in then minutes.:rolleyes:

You may be able to find some steel replacement caps and have them installed. It would be worth it to save a 8.5" rear. Here is an example of what I am referring to:

Mark Williams Enterprises - Detail

Note that that one is listed for the 12-bolt. I don't know if it will fit an 8.5" 10-bolt. Or if there are ones available for 10-bolts (don't see why not...).

RemoveBeforeFlight