Are the cat back exhausts the same in 84-87?

ROBCAR

Does anyone know if the cat back systems are the same from 84 to 87? I have seen some kits say fits 84-85-86-87, then others say 86 and 7 only. I am looking for a cat back system for my 85.

if i recall the flange on the cat is slightly different on 84/85 compared to 86/87. some kits come with test pipe. replace flange on cat with the the test pipe flange.

84-85 on right, 86-87 on left... ;)
86-87 cat doesn't have a flange on the front as shown in the pic- it is a slip fit!!

Attachments

• exhaust 004.jpg
    exhaust 004.jpg
    941.4 KB · Views: 134
  • exhaust 007.jpg
    exhaust 007.jpg
    927.4 KB · Views: 139
The 86/87 system posted above is not stock. 84-87 have the single muffler behind the rear when sold new. The major difference is the down pipe/converter connection. Any good muffler shop could make a 86/87 system fit on an 84/85.

The 86/87 system posted above is not stock. 84-87 have the single muffler behind the rear when sold new. The major difference is the down pipe/converter connection. Any good muffler shop could make a 86/87 system fit on an 84/85.

That is correct, should have mentioned it is a Hooker exhaust system similar to 86-87 exhaust

i have the hooker kit on my 84 but i also have an ATR downpipe and 87 cat
really opened up flow

Thanks guys, I have the stock setup with the single muffler above the rear axle. I wand to go with the dual mufflers with the stock outlet location. (behind each rear wheel)

Thanks for the info i was curious about this myself. I believe that I'm going to go with a homemade all stainless setup, exiting before the passenger tire.

Looks like the hooker kit exits strait out of the back under rear bumper. Is this correct?

The Hooker exhaust in the pics posted above- is on my 84 GN and exits behind the rear tires,
same as the exit of the original exhaust