ATR Billet roller cam install

Zacks 85GN

Zman
After finally getting my engine parts back from S&S turbo regal I am ready to assemble the short block. My ATR cam came with the brass thrust bearing and was wondering if I should change it to the roller type I have heard of, if so does anyone have the part number. The cam kit did not come with a cam button and I am planing on using the needle bearing type. There was little in the way of instructions with this kit. Thanks for any help.

Zack

You will never ware out the Brass Bushing.
I use one on my engine..

Originally posted by Joe Biucchi
You will never ware out the Brass Bushing.
I use one on my engine..

How many miles has the brass bushing been in there? Has it worn into the block, or have you checked? What kind of cam button did you use? I'm going to be installing a roller cam soon and am looking for the most reliable way.

I don`t remember how long it`s been in there. I only Drag Race the Car. I had it made at a Local Machine Shop. If you need good stuf for Roller Cams, call Dave Weber at Weber Racing Equipment in Ohio, and he will give you all you need. I don`t have his number off had, but I am sure someone on the Board does.

Joe

Bushing-

Somebody (Lonnie?) has a thrust bearing that installs at the rear of the cam, not sure how it works, exactly. But a roller cam won't have high thrust, so the brass bearing "should" last a long time. Maybe if you have a high pressure, high volume oil pump, that might load the bearing enough to wear, don't know about that.

Originally posted by Zacks 85GN
After finally getting my engine parts back from S&S turbo regal I am ready to assemble the short block. My ATR cam came with the brass thrust bearing and was wondering if I should change it to the roller type I have heard of, if so does anyone have the part number. The cam kit did not come with a cam button and I am planing on using the needle bearing type. There was little in the way of instructions with this kit. Thanks for any help.
Zack

Zack, it's been a while since I've seen the ATR setup, but the PT&E ones that come with the roller bearing have a spacer plate that fits on them that is specifically machined for the thickness of the bearing. In other words, I don't think the spacer in the ATR kit would work with the bearing as it's thicker than the brass washer. I think the setup you have will be fine as long as the block front is flat and doesn't have any burrs, etc. Make sure the plugs for the cam oil galleys don't protrude out past the front of the block.

I have heard of people drilling a small hole in one oil galley plug to oil the top gear & thrust assembly; I haven't done it so I can't offer an opinion but I thought I'd mention it. You might call Weber as somebody else mentioned, he does a lot of these.

Thanks for the info, yes the rollers should not have as much thrust as a flat tappet cams do. I just want to do it right the first time. I did have the RPM anti-walk kit that came with my cast roller which would be a good set up but no longer have it.
My goal is to have this car ready for Bristol this year, I have been looking over the fence for three years now and I want to play too.

KendallF, Hope that the biggie oil filter kit worked out for you that you got from me at Bristol last year. Jay hopes to have My intake done within the next two weeks.

Thanks,
Zack Willett