ATR exhausts

mazdatech78

Im not sure where to put this since there is no feedback section for products. I went to put on a new ATR single shot. The build quality looks pretty good. Except the fact the pipes do like to fit together very well at all. It already looked like it was worked on before I even touched it. For $400 bucks the least they could have done is make sure the pipes fit together before they get sent out. Its too much of a pain in the a** to send it back, so now I have to spend extra money for a muffler shop to expand my brand new exhaust. If anyone else had problems with there ATR exhausts, please let me know

I've had 2 or 3 myself, and seen bunch's of them. Usually very high quality and fit and finish, maybe your cars messed up?

The fit has nothing to do with my car. The problem is between the tailpipe and 90 degree piece that goes to the muffler. Its hard to explain in writing but I am an ASE master tech and have been working on cars my whole life. I dont mind making things work, but for the money and all the good things the guys here on the board say about ATR, I just figured I would have gotten more for my money. Hell, if the exhaust was cheap I wouldnt mind doing work on the pipes to make it work.

Have you contacted your vendor? What you're describing doesn't wash with my experience. While there's some junk out there in the TR world (and other worlds, too) ATR's exhausts are widely regarded as spot on...

Originally posted by strikeeagle
Have you contacted your vendor? What you're describing doesn't wash with my experience. While there's some junk out there in the TR world (and other worlds, too) ATR's exhausts are widely regarded as spot on...

I Agree strikeeagle, ATR is one of the best Vendors in our small community , there exhaust systems have been used by many members here (including myself) with out any problems for years.

Have you talked with ATR about your problem ?
If so what was said , who did you talk to and how did they (ATR) handle your situation.
as for a feedback forum on products I'll look into that.

Jesse

Originally posted by mazdatech78
Im not sure where to put this since there is no feedback section for products. I went to put on a new ATR single shot. The build quality looks pretty good. Except the fact the pipes do like to fit together very well at all. It already looked like it was worked on before I even touched it. For $400 bucks the least they could have done is make sure the pipes fit together before they get sent out. Its too much of a pain in the a** to send it back, so now I have to spend extra money for a muffler shop to expand my brand new exhaust. If anyone else had problems with there ATR exhausts, please let me know

I had a similar problem with the 2-/1/2 system I have. I am really dissapointed with ATR exhaust. Frankly, I wish I had bought something else.

Strange. My dealings with ATR have been great. Had their exhaust on my camaros and now on the GN along with a bunch of their other goodies. Sorry to hear you got a bad one. Definitely call them. Any time I have had to deal with them they have been great

Contacted ATR

I contacted ATR. The lady who answer sounded suprised when I said that I had a problem. She said that they hadnt gotten any complaints. She talked to the shop forman who said that because the cut is so close to a bend that sometimes the pipe deforms. Well, if they knew this was a problem why didnt they check it before shipping. They were nice and offered to exchange the pipe in question. I told them that I didnt have time and that I would just fix the problem myself. Im glad that most of you havent had problems with their products. I guess I was just the unlucky one to have a problem with their exhaust.:rolleyes:

I put a full stainless ATR exhaust on my 1st GN in 1992 and although I liked the finished prduct it wasn't "fit friendly".

With the dual Pit Bull stainless mufflers it sounded awesome...once it was in.

I too purchased a "show special" 2-1/2" SS system from ATR at the 2003 GS Nationals. I was disappointed in the amount of time and effort it took to make it fit and look good. I had to work on all the slip-fit joints so the pipes and mufflers would fit together correctly. The main exhaust pipe and mufflers is/are not centered under the car and no matter how much adjusting I did could I get it perfectly centered. I had to cut off at least 1-1/2" to 2" on each tail pipe end so it didn't look like something you would see on Bubba's truck. I could go on, but what is the point. I made it fit as best I could. Usually calling the vendor and telling them that their product does not get you very far, usually a boat load of shipping charges and a replacement that has the same problems. I truely do think that since they changed ownership the quality of the system and the mounting configutaion has changed from what they built back in the early 90's. I know guys in my area that bought the ATR exhaust systems back in the early 90's, installed them laying under the car in the driveway and the fit perfectly. I had my car on my 4-post drive on lift and followed the instruction to the letter and fought with it for at least 6 hours before being satisfied. Maybe I'mjust too picky.

Regards,

James West
Omaha, NE.

Re: Contacted ATR

I contacted ATR. The lady who answer sounded suprised when I said that I had a problem. She said that they hadnt gotten any complaints. She talked to the shop forman who said that because the cut is so close to a bend that sometimes the pipe deforms. Well, if they knew this was a problem why didnt they check it before shipping. They were nice and offered to exchange the pipe in question. I told them that I didnt have time and that I would just fix the problem myself. Im glad that most of you havent had problems with their products. I guess I was just the unlucky one to have a problem with their exhaust.:rolleyes:
once they know your voice after calling a few times they will tell you that there is no one there right now to help you. ATR's customer service "SUCKS"!:mad: they sounded superised when I explained my concerns,@ the nationals, but when I got home I called, like she told me to to resolve the issuse she blew me off!!:mad:

same pipe on mine, the 2 going over the axle. they hit the upper control arm. sometimes my exhaust gets louder???........ the tail pipe piece comes apart!!! i tightened the clamp so much it bent and folded over! had to buy a new one. IMO ATR is crap, would never buy ANYTHING from them. should have made my own... would have fit

ATR Single Shot

Sorry to hear that some of you guys had problems with the ATR Single Shot stainless steel system...
I have such a system on my car, and frankly, it required very little tweaking to have it to fit properly!... One of the simple things I had to do was to cut off about 1 in. off the pipe from the catalytic converter to the muffler to move it forward a little because the tail pipe coming out of the muffler (that goes above the rear axle) was too close to the axle, but by moving the muffler and tailpipe assembly forward 1 in. solved everything!...that's all

Claude. :)

I too hate ATR! I have had nothing but bad quality and poor customer service. Wraped flanges, DP flapper seized, exaust sucks, overpriced, banged my car in several places. DP hit control arm, front mount IC fits like DooDoo. Talking to idiot girls who will not let you talk to someone there who knows anything.

One girl told me to clock my turbo to get the DP to clear my control arm. Sure, the turbine housing can spin in relation to CHRA, but it is bolted to header, so that doesn't work.

I recently gave them another shot. Ordered a guage holder that was printed in their most recent cat, to be grey in color. NOT! I even asked them before I ordered. Sent it back for a different style that was already grey, guess what, it too was black. I call them to ask what was up. They said black was the most common color and suggested I buy a $12 can of spraypaint from them. I told the lady that 90% of TR had a grey interior. Why can't they just spray 40 guage holders with one can of paint and save customers the trouble? No.

Their welds on the intercooler stink. My BOV pad was very warped, I chased down a poor running motor and found a big leak on the bottom of IC, had to take apart the front end, remove IC to get to flange to grind it flat. IC hit bumper supports, need to cut into the headlight bezels, pipes hit everywhere. They said they have never had a complaint about their IC and asked me if I was sure I had a GN.

I will never call them again!

I have had great service with Poston, Kirban, Quad Air, Limit, PTE, etc. , but ATR........:mad:

I'm happy with MY single shot 3" SS exhaust.

Thought there was a problem with the bracket they welded onto the tail pipe. Every so often I'd have to have it re-welded.

Turns out I never realized my motor mount was shot and the whole system was being yanked around....

Haven't had a problem since.

ATR

I have never had any problems either on either the 3" stainless cat back or the 2.5" stainless. To me it's a nice piece especially when you live up north where they use salt. No problems that I faced with other systems rotting away in a few seasons. But maybe it's just me.:D BTW I am a ASE Master tech over ten years.

Steve

Re: ATR

My family owns a couple of exhaust businesses and I've custom bent systems and install many an aftermarket exhaust system kits. There are better fitting kits than ATR!!!

Originally posted by XXQUICK6XX
I have never had any problems either on either the 3" stainless cat back or the 2.5" stainless. To me it's a nice piece especially when you live up north where they use salt. No problems that I faced with other systems rotting away in a few seasons. But maybe it's just me.:D BTW I am a ASE Master tech over ten years.

Steve

I have alot of ATR products in my GN, never had any problems with fit, customer service, etc.

Re: ATR Single Shot

Originally posted by toofastforyou
Sorry to hear that some of you guys had problems with the ATR Single Shot stainless steel system...
I have such a system on my car, and frankly, it required very little tweaking to have it to fit properly!... One of the simple things I had to do was to cut off about 1 in. off the pipe from the catalytic converter to the muffler to move it forward a little because the tail pipe coming out of the muffler (that goes above the rear axle) was too close to the axle, but by moving the muffler and tailpipe assembly forward 1 in. solved everything!...that's all

Claude. :)

did the same cutting only i took about 1/2". still fit like tihs