atr external wastegate ?

Otto J

i have there DP and ext gate and now with my t70 turbo and cottons from mount w'/innovatives boost controller my minimum boost is 22 lbs (man this thing is fast) but i hate to drive daily wioth this much boost but they have 3 wategates depending on boost, the only thing differnent is the spring tension in the gate, i am going to put a lighter spring in it and try it but has ony one had this problem before?
Otto

they adjuster is all the way out (least amount of boost) i do not have a beeder, because i have an electronic controller, i disconnected that and ran boost to the opening side of the wastegate and the least it will make is 20# forciong it open, my turbo has been ported the the same opening as the pipe and valve,but i removed the valve from the car and found that even when you open teh valve all the way, it only goes about half way up the opening because teh bottom of the stem of teh valve itself hits the housing and keeps it from open any further, i am going to grind down the neck of he valve so it opens futher allowing it to bleed more exaust
will update tomorrow
Otto

well i took apart the wastegate and did some porting on it, it know will go down to 20 lbs of boost, what i dont under stand is why ATR spews about the 1 3/4 VALVE when the outlet is only 11/4 "s and with hte valve all the way open ,the valve only sits about half way up the outlet hole! they claim that it will control boost in car up to 900 horse power, well my car must be making atleast a 1000 cause it dont control it well(dreaming)
OJP

ATR GATE??

Depending on the age of the gate, it may need to be "modified". I sent mine to John Craig for this. The valve guide is FUBAR and the gate will not repeat nor will it seal properly. The ATR instructions I had said DO NOT tune the boost by messing w/ the adj screw.
The BASE spring is about 14#. Yours may have something else.
I also found that the end of the tube that the gate mounts to was eroded where the valve face sits due to the flange being mild steel.
Took it off,[the gate] and added an INNOVATIVE Pro gate. MUCH BETTER !!!;) Also am using the INNOVATIVE controller.

well the downpipe is currently on hold, i am going to have it modified to see if i can make it work first befroe i sell it
thanks

well i put a small tear in the diaphram today, but i decide to order their lighter springs and a new diaphram, but i replace the spring with a spring from a chyrsler trans (lighter) and i had already ported the turbo port and the wastegate itself and with my innovative controller i logged a pass on my speed-pro and it stayed within a lb at all times, nut i will replace it with atrs spring, i wouild like to regulate the boost to 12#s for launch purposes
thanks for your help and prompt feedback
Otto

i also believe that the springs regulate the minimum amount of boost not maximum,my 18# spring could make 30 lbs but not go below 18
thanks