ATR Headers?

1BadL67

I found a set of supposed ATR Headers for my Grand National here locally. I haven't seen a set before, and their are no markings on them. Is there anything that ATR's have that set them apart from other brands or the cheap knock offs? I do not want to spend the money if they aren't legitimate. Any help is appreciated.

Hopefully you can see my attached images. Those are the best pictures I can get. Just wondering if someone knew more about them that could possibly help me identify them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 690
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 784
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 551
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 564
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 495
1BadL67 said:
Hopefully you can see my attached images. Those are the best pictures I can get. Just wondering if someone knew more about them that could possibly help me identify them.

ATR headers are no knock off. The were one of the leading Buick performance groups back in the early 90's. they went out of business about same time Jim Bell (Kenne) stopped making parts for Buicks. The Kenne Bell style and TA performance headers look very similar. If you can buy them cheap enough then you bought yourself a nice set of performance headers. Plus they sound good. I have had a set on my car for over 17yrs now.

Clint

Sent from my iPhone using Turbo Buick

KB...as in Kenne Bell? If so, are his headers as of the same quality or design? I'm just trying to avoid spending good money on cheap eBay headers. Thanks for the help Freddy.

fastfreddy said:
THAY LOOK LIKE KB HEADERS TO ME.

The rumor is that Kenne Bell (Jim) and ATR got in a fight over header design. Some say Jim stole the design for ATR and vise versa.

Thanks Clint, I know ATR made some good stuff as did KB and T/A Performance. I was just trying to avoid buy a set of the cheap eBay headers if that's what they actually were. I hadn't seen a set of ATR's or T/A's in quite some time. Thanks for the help, it's much appreciated.

1BadL67 said:
KB...as in Kenne Bell? If so, are his headers as of the same quality or design? I'm just trying to avoid spending good money on cheap eBay headers. Thanks for the help Freddy.

They are ATR headers not Kenne Bell

Thanks for the replies. I found them for a couple hundred bucks locally. I guess I'll go pick them up then. Thanks a lot guys.

They are ATR. Kenne Bell headers have a longer collector on the driver's side, have a rounded 3 bolt flange, and the main flanges are flat across the bottom, which needs to be notched to clear 14 bolt heads.

you can always look inside at the ports to make sure they arent knock offs..... you would be surprised at what you find on the inside of the cheap "Chinese"; knock offs...;)

aaron

The rumor is that Kenne Bell (Jim) and ATR got in a fight over header design. Some say Jim stole the design for ATR and vise versa.

When ATR was producing thier headers (of the design in this thread), during that same period the KB headers of that time period were a MUCH different design!! KB headers didn't start looking like ATR headers until after ATR went under.

My car has ATR headers and they are holding up fine even though they may be old they still in great shape , you will get a good deal at 200.00 if you can buy them .

i have a set of ATR headers on my car,i love them never had a problem.There is one thing in your pic that is different then my ATR headers.the header flang on mine is flat were the bolts go in,yours has some kinda spacer.if you do get them and run a gasket i found the SCE copper gasket to work the best.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to pick them up this week. Will be mating them with a set of ATR Pitbull stainless exhaust I found as well hopefully. Much appreciated on all the info.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to pick them up this week. Will be mating them with a set of ATR Pitbull stainless exhaust I found as well hopefully. Much appreciated on all the info.

Where are you finding these great classic products? Especially at that price. I wanna come look too.