ATR roller cams

harris48cars

Anybody still running one of these. There were 3 as I recall. I have one and was just curious. Made for ATR by Crane I am told. I have the 210/214 or is it 214/210.Anyone know the lift? And are these thought to be good perforing cams?
Gary

Gary,

I do believe they are 214/210 intake/exhaust. I've misplaced my ATR catalog that was supposed to be right here. I'll repost if someone doesn't, but I think the lift is high .48x.'s

I know of only one car personally that runs one, it's been a mid 10 car for the past 10 years almost. Only thing keeping it from going faster is a turbo update.

Hope that helps anyway.

214/210 .548/.536 with 1.65 rocker
same .515/.504 with 1.55

other cam is
212/206 .497/.482 with 1.65
same .467/.453 with 1.55

2001 ATR catalog

BW :)

I know of only one car personally that runs one, it's been a mid 10 car for the past 10 years almost. Only thing keeping it from going faster is a turbo update.

Would that be my car, John?
212/206 w/1.65 rollers here.
Gotta love it. I miss ATR.

Would that be my car, John?
212/206 w/1.65 rollers here.
Gotta love it. I miss ATR.

I miss ATR also, i was doing a run down on my grey 87 T and my silver 87 Limited, they are full of ATR parts. From motor parts to trans parts and suspension parts. This is probably why ive kept my old magazines for reference what they cost new vs. people selling them used.

The only real issue i had was the puck swing arm seizing up on the downpipe, i sent it back before they exchanged hands and sold. Sent the pipe, they fixed it for free and sent it back free of charge.

Wished i had more of their parts on hand.

BW :)

I miss ATR as well. Some good stuff there. i would love to get a set of the Pit Bull mufflers.

From back in the day...... Billy Anderson, before he was Billy Anderson, and myself ordered two of the first sets of ATR headers. Immediately after installing them I couldn't build boost. Contacted Billy and he had the same issue. Obviuosly it was the headers as that was all I changed, and Billy. Days of checking and I couldn't find the problem with the headers. I literally pulled the engine. Using a mirror I looked up behind the headers and there was a huge gap at the bottom of each port, maybe 3/16". I called Plil Griffith the owner of ATR and told him what I found. Now, for the old guys that knew Griffith, they will understand what I mean when I say ole Phil went into complete denial mode. I told him I would send the headers back and he could see for himself. Phil of course said it was impossible and that he would look at the headers, knew he would find nothing wrong, and he was going to charge me $75 for the exam. Billy and I sent them to a local fabricator and who welded up the ports and reshaped them. Phil Griffith was the biggest jerk to ever ride in a turbo car. He screwed me a couple times more over the years. Having said all this, I miss the S.O.B. also or at least his products. Except for that header thing, I never had another problem with his parts. I bought lots of ATR parts and they were some of the best stuff you could buy. Anybody know what ever happened to Griffith?
Gary

Yep.. Mike that was you I was talking about (trying to use my southern tx slang). Had the wrong cam though.

Joe, I actually have a pair of ATR muffs I bought a couple of years ago. Been thinking about replacing them with something quieter.

hmmmm.

I remember that ATR had some small fitment problems on their downpipes they always denied. Other than that I don't actually think I've used much ATR anything except headers... which cracked and should be welded on the outside before use. Still good products and reasonable prices though.. of course made in USA.

From back in the day...... Billy Anderson, before he was Billy Anderson, and myself ordered two of the first sets of ATR headers. Immediately after installing them I couldn't build boost. Contacted Billy and he had the same issue. Obviuosly it was the headers as that was all I changed, and Billy. Days of checking and I couldn't find the problem with the headers. I literally pulled the engine. Using a mirror I looked up behind the headers and there was a huge gap at the bottom of each port, maybe 3/16". I called Plil Griffith the owner of ATR and told him what I found. Now, for the old guys that knew Griffith, they will understand what I mean when I say ole Phil went into complete denial mode. I told him I would send the headers back and he could see for himself. Phil of course said it was impossible and that he would look at the headers, knew he would find nothing wrong, and he was going to charge me $75 for the exam. Billy and I sent them to a local fabricator and who welded up the ports and reshaped them. Phil Griffith was the biggest jerk to ever ride in a turbo car. He screwed me a couple times more over the years. Having said all this, I miss the S.O.B. also or at least his products. Except for that header thing, I never had another problem with his parts. I bought lots of ATR parts and they were some of the best stuff you could buy. Anybody know what ever happened to Griffith?
Gary

My conversation with Griffith about those headers was somewhat more "agressive" than yours I am sure! I can remember calling there in the early days and Sherry would answer the phone as sweet as pie and say "let me let you talk to Phil" where generally I would just hang up unless I really had to get something off my chest!

Bill, wasn't it Moton that welded them up, if you remember? I forgot all about Sherry. I did some chip tests for the GS club back when. Phil called me on the phone after reading them and was giving me all this great info. Telling me how I could make all these improvements. Congradulating me on how through my testing procedures were. I didn't realize he was just pumping me for information he could use against me in his ATR Newsletter. Which is what he did. I was just an innocent who wanted to help out with these new turbo cars. Phil murdered me in his "Letter". Thinking back though, ATR was one of the few vendors with poor customer service. Back then most vendors were good guys.
Gary

I still run the ATR roller you are asking about but soon after I bought it I sent it to Weber and had them convert it over to a torrington bearing set-up with their nose pieces and their custom timing chain. I ran the ATR kit for 1k miles back in 98 and the brass thrust plate began to eat itself and the factory tensioner, which their directions said to use with their double roller, ate itself also. I do like the cam the way it is set-up and would recommend sending to Weber for a conversion. I still run ATR headers and they work perfect.
Mike

When Don Cruz built my motor, the cam nose was modified for the new bearing as well. highly advise you do so.

I think you guys are talking about Shirley. She was Phil's wife. Sherry came along later after ATR was sold. Sherry went on to work for a golf cart company and actually called me about wanting to start a business selling Buick parts but I guess nothing ever came of it.

Everyone had issues with Phil. I remember the old ATR vs Kenne Bell battle from back then. Funny Jim Bell ended up blowing up with the Whipplecharger and now his own blower and Phil and Shirley sold out and retired.

total opposite with ATR

Well i was a seller of ATR parts to all my friends here in the Bay Area back in 92 thru 02? I think it was in 92 that Phil and Shirley asked if i wanted to become a seller since I ordered so many parts for friends anyway to get discounts. Along the way they GAVE ME a set of p&P heads, te32 turbo when it first came out, a set of headers and even asked me to come to work for them in Rancho Cordova and even South Carolina when they moved! They treated everyone that i know of with respect. Now the downpipe thing was a nightmare!! I have to admit! I had to return 3 and Phil did not believe me either HAHAHA! I also told him the round port headers where F'ED UP !!! He needed to go back to the square ports cause there is a huge mismatch!!! Funniest thing was when i gave Phil a NO KB sticker i bought from Conely's and he drained the toilet and stuck it to the bottom of the bowl in the office bathroom while I was there picking up parts! The new owner I never talked too! Had NOTHING BUT NOTHING shipped right or in stock!!! And when you live on the opposite coast this is NOT GOOD biz! Sorry to steal this thread but I had to say something on what i saw as a flame ?
Jerry

I still run the ATR roller you are asking about but soon after I bought it I sent it to Weber and had them convert it over to a torrington bearing set-up with their nose pieces and their custom timing chain. I ran the ATR kit for 1k miles back in 98 and the brass thrust plate began to eat itself and the factory tensioner, which their directions said to use with their double roller, ate itself also. I do like the cam the way it is set-up and would recommend sending to Weber for a conversion. I still run ATR headers and they work perfect.
Mike

I currently run the 212/206 ATR Roller cam as well as their complete exhaust system (headers to dual 3' stainless exhaust). When I first bought this engine way back it had the tensioner with the double roller chain set up. The tensioner broke and caused me lots of heart ache. After head/valve repairs, I ran the ATR set up with out a tensioner. That tensioner breaking is still haunting me, found out it cracked #1 rod bearing when, things went down hill real fast after that, oil pressure etc. Just putting together a new set up with the ATR Roller.....see below. Should be good to go this time......I hope.

TimingChain.jpg

I run the ATR 214/210 in my 87 T and have for years...hundreds of runs in the 10's...even though ATR said to use a tensioner I never did and no problems...just wondering the guys that had problems with the older ATR headers did you use any exhaust gaskets?...I have a set of the older round port ATR headers on my GN and it builds boost just fine...did ATR fix the problem?...I also use copper exhaust gaskets...