AutoFair Fall 2007

we just got home.
I would like to thank everyone for a great time for me and my girls,and good meeting all of you.I look forward to getting together again.sign me up for the next meet..the trip was worth it.
Cheryl ,thanks for putting all this together ( and the food:biggrin: ).the shaddy spot was great too (and the tickets were free,what could make it better?)
slogn, good to meet you, would have liked to talked to you more about tuning my car, thanks for the good info...you do have a really nice gn:biggrin:
sydwyndr; good to meet you also,take car of my cars sister..ill always be jelous of the vynil top and bucket seats;) p.s. thanks for the dorky pic of me posted for the whole world to laugh at,LOL.
esinger; nice hot air, didnt realize the came with a scooby-do:eek:
alanzo, nice car .good to meet you too, the water spots you found later on the car was my drool:eek:
guy with the yellow malibu (sorry forgot your name) nice car,glad to see it in person after seeing it so much on the net.alot of trick stuff on that ride.
monte; nice car also.get that turbo monte project, then your tag will really play with peoples, minds.;)
sorry if i forgot anyone,my mind is not as good as it should be.:mad:

I was the last in our line when we left the speedway,i wish some of you could have seen the reactions of the people watching us leave, priceless.....again,good to meet you guy,had a great time,Gary.

Gary

I'm glad you got to join is with the rest of our disfunctional group. you have a nice ride and also some gm history rollin with you.

Cheryl,
Wanted to tell everyone that the smoke from my car was (as Pat predicted) a bad turbo seal. that is not the bad news as there is 1/8" side play in the shaft so the bearings are bad as well. Son Adam did an admirable job driving the car home without getting into boost a single time...that is a FIRST for Adam.

Since the turbo has less than a thousand miles on it, hopefully Jack Cotton and Turbonetics can help me out. There had been some minor warning signs (increased turbo lag, sound that I thought was an exhaust manifold gasket leak).

Anyone got a spare inlet bell for a stock turbo that I could borrow to get back on the road? I still have the stock turbo.

Conrad

Conrad

i have a stock turbo inlet bell you can use. when do you want it.

Gary, glad you and your family made it home safe, we loved having you there!

Kevin, , I can only imagine how bad it was. I wouldn't wish that stuff happening to anyone, even my ex husband( well, let me re think that..)
We're just all relieved that you had more of a headache than a major mishap.

Conrad I have a spare turbo you are welcome to borrow while yours in getting replaced. I don't know about the housing though, it is a SyTy housing. I think it's a TE36.

Congrats to the winners! ...from "mild to WILD" turbo cars and trucks!

Special thanks goes out to Cheryl for all the hard work involved in getting such a large event (for us) put together. You always seem to make it "work"!:cool:

Thanks goes out to Patrick for letting me stay at his "crib" for FREE! Another THANKS for tuning my car "on the fly" as I cruise around his neighborhood not knowing where I'm going. ;)

Thanks goes out to Gary for answering questions about my own radio.:eek:

Thanks also goes out to all others that attended! It was nice meeting new members of the group. :smile:

again: let's hope you have the sense of humour when you're in the same situation

Trust me on this one...when his GN came out of the paint shop last spring with metallic paint painted on the rear fender he was not a happy camper! I think I had to talk him through a few deep breaths before he took it back to the shop

Cheryl,
Wanted to tell everyone that the smoke from my car was (as Pat predicted) a bad turbo seal. that is not the bad news as there is 1/8" side play in the shaft so the bearings are bad as well. Son Adam did an admirable job driving the car home without getting into boost a single time...that is a FIRST for Adam.

Since the turbo has less than a thousand miles on it, hopefully Jack Cotton and Turbonetics can help me out. There had been some minor warning signs (increased turbo lag, sound that I thought was an exhaust manifold gasket leak).

Anyone got a spare inlet bell for a stock turbo that I could borrow to get back on the road? I still have the stock turbo.

Conrad

Conrad: since BOTH cars are down for the count I can loan you one, can rob the one off of the Limited tonight......

Trust me on this one...when his GN came out of the paint shop last spring with metallic paint painted on the rear fender he was not a happy camper! I think I had to talk him through a few deep breaths before he took it back to the shop

How in the wide wide world of sports does even come close to being an "apples to apples" comparison???????

Feel like a broken record here, but there are several not so subtle nuances that clearly differentiate the two situations, it's time to just let it drop.

Dunno that I would go so far as to say "near death" but it would have gotten really ugly really quickly. 4 studs sheared clean off flush with the rotor, and lug #5 was literally hanging by a thread, so yes I'm a much better Catholic now than I was before.

here y'are.......

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC_0010.jpg
    DSC_0010.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 156
some more.....

Attachments

• hood.jpg
    hood.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC_0007[1].jpg
    DSC_0007[1].jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 114
Hey guys, It was great getting together. Too bad I had to go to work or we would have hit the 'bees with you. My wife and I had a ball. She's still laughing about the fashion police stakeout we had. It was cool getting to see a true methanol car (even though there were several of the converted cars there:) ) and a shur' nuff race car. My wife told me that the race car was bad azzed and would put my car to shame. I told her "Sure, but let him take you through McDonalds drive thru for a burger...:eek: " Thanks again Cheryl for being the Den-mother for our little pack.

kh440 : I know how you feel. Several years ago I was driving my BB Camaro (4 spd,4.11 posi). I had just shifted to second on the highway when I heard a thumping sound. I thought , "Great, I just wasted a u-joint. I coasted around a curve to get to a pull off and got out to look under the car. The drive shaft was still there, "wth?" Anyway I walked around the car and it hit me that it wasn't sitting right. I had sheared off all 5 lugs on the passenger rear. It was just lucky that as I was rolling down the highway the hub sat down in the rim and rolled around the inside of my mag wheel (10" Keystones :cool: ). It chewed up my wheel a little but stayed under the fender. I think I hit a storm grate and that is what caused it because I wasn't "gettin on it" when it happened. I could have been a lot worse.
Don't take everyone's ribbing to heart. It just means you've been accepted as one of the group. I know you're a little down on NC right now but it's not so bad here, given a chance, it'll get better.;) btw, Where were you at when you broke? And we'd love to hear the full story.

Clint just said he wanted to see some pictures, he didn't specify "completed" pictures. (that's the problem with not speaking in complete sentences or thoughts-too many possible interpratations) Car was not 100% done even before it had its little temper tantrum anyway. Thanks to the friday night monsoon would have spent the first couple of hours Saturday putting the turkey together.

So, anyway, the condensed version of what went down: My father and I finally gave up Friday night due to the lightning and heavy rains about 10:00 or so, car was driveable so I finally went home to get a few hours sleep. Right away notice brake pedal is stiff as a board (another of many omens!), no power door locks and no radio, but at that point I wasn't messing with it any more. At some point during the night power hiccuped so the woke up an hour later than I was supposed to. Hauled ass to Pinehurst to pick up my passengers, loaded up the car and took off. Got into the burgh of wadesboro when the car starts to vibrate, vibration gets worse very quickly, and then starts making some ungodly noises. Whipped into the parking lot at Captain D's and that's when I notice the damage. add to the mix the 4 winos hanging out at the exxon station next door who had 3 or 4 more "friends" appear from behind the dumpster who are all intrigued by a shiny car with 3 crackers in it (1 of whom is female) and you have the makings for a fun morning. Once the party left the exxon station Max goes behind said dumpster to take a whizz, and comes back showing us a crack pipe. 4+ hours later a white rollback arrives to deliver us from the freak show. Max and susan got to ride in the air conditioned cab while I sprawled out in the back seat of the car. Brought back som efond memories of my last flight to Michigan courtesy of Northwest Airlines: cramped, not much ventilation, and a rather bouncy ride.......

Not so much being "down on NC" as it is just fed up and burned out on many levels. Taken enough BS over the whole incident.