backspacing/frame notching/spacers

.38 special

all spooled up
I am looking to buy some wheels. Probably 17"s. I think the general opinion is that 4.5 is total max backspacing.

--If I notch the frame, what sort of backspacing can I use. And how much should I expect to spend on this.

--Also those using spacers, what are your backspacing numbers and should I use spacers?

I have used the search and can't quite answer my questions.
any info and possibly some pictures would be greatly appreciated.

on some cars 5" works on a 9"-9".5 rim-my friend has that size on his custom regal and no rubbing issues anywhere-torque thrusters.

I'd have to put the frame-notch costs at around $400 as one of our club members paid $375 US and another $450 Cdn. They can now run 295/50/15's that are 12.2" sectional width w/o any rubbing at all. These are on 15X10 Centerlines with, I believe, 5.5" bs. I have a brief article on the how-to's of frame notching if you'd like.
HTH
Jim

If you notch the frame and square the wheel wells, you can fit a 5-1/2"X10 wide wheel and have the tire centered between the frame and fender lip. About what Jim just said!

:)

A 6" BS wheel will fit depending on the tire used.

What about wheel spacers, is anyone using them? Should I, does it weaken the setup?

I'll find the exact measurements of the wheels I am looking at and post that. Maybe then you guys can tell me exactly what to do to make them fit.